Email hosting for personal domain

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I purchased a domain name with my full name and hosted it using Google Apps when it was free for individuals (still is for existing users). I haven't used the email for the domain, but thinking about starting the migration to the new email address now.

I don't have a website for the domain, nor do I want one. Right now I just want to use the email address for my domain since it's my full name.

I'm trying to move away from the Google ecosystem for many reasons (privacy is the primary). Any recommendations on a good email hosting company who won't scan the contents of my email and use my information for advertising purposes? I've considered the new Outloook by Microsoft but I'm sure they aren't much better. Also considered using Fastmail but I think they lack a calendar feature. The full suite of products - email, calendar, contacts - would be nice. Also would like a hosting company that appreciates and respects privacy. I'd really love if I could find a solid service like RiseUp (they no longer host).

One more question -- I only want to use this domain email address for professional reasons and for formal communications since the domain is firstname@firstnamelastname.com. Any reason I should avoid using this domain since it includes my full name?

Thanks for the suggestions!

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I've used urs2.net for more than 15 years. It's a small local ISP here in southern California. He hosts my domain with web site, and I use POP3 email for both a urs2.net email address, and several domain email addresses. He also has webmail which I use when I'm out of town.

He's very private and does not use any user information for 3rd party stuff. You can contact him from his web site, urs2.net to see if he can set up what you want.

----
    rich

3. box750

box750 Registered Member

I think that Cotse has all you ask for:

From the site:
    • We give you unlimited addresses in twenty domains plus unlimited addresses in any of your own custom registered domains
    • Securely retrieve e-mail from nearly any other service over any protocol or port via an encrypted connection.
    • With our service you may also add, remove, or replace headers from mail sent via either webmail or our SMTP and your favorite e-mail client.
    • Calendar and todo lists. The ability to store and index notes and bookmarks is included too.
    • We host MX for registered domain names at no additional cost. Your personal or business domain will function with all of our features and filters.
    • A full buffet of antispam solutions are available. Use none, one, or all. Build the spam solution that works best for you.
    • Redirect specific email to your cell phone, another e-mail address, or a folder of your choice.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  4. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions -- I'll look into both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.