email from PayPal?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

This is an odd one.

I don't even use PayPal or have a PayPal account. So why would I receive this email?

Seems kind of odd, don't you think? Possible "phishing" expedition? The email came from service@paypal.com o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2006
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You received this e-mail since you're a warm body and there is a 0.000001% chance you might respond...., Yep, it's a phisher....

Blue

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Interestingly it is https but only 40 bit and the source didn't appear to be available

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

LOL - Thanks, Blue. Yeah. that's kinda what I thought. I "ACCIDENTALLY" clicked on the link ("scrolling" down the page, and then clicked stop, which just happened to be right over top of the link)....but as soon as the new browser window opened, I closed it immediately and then just ran CCleaner to delete any and all cookies, history, etc. Still pretty odd......

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I got this, the reply link was to a non paypal site - even thought the text said paypal.com....

This is the first spam in 3 months thats slipped through gmail !

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    It's a scam. I also received same thing in my email a month ago and I didn't even have a paypal (I only uses cash..and blank checks .:D )..

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

There's one dead-giveaway, and PayPal themselves warn about it. (I'd guess eBay works the same, since they're related.)

If PayPal ever has occasion to contact you by email, they will always address you by full name (or company name, if that's how you're registered). So anything that opens "Dear Valued Paypal Member" (or anything similar) is by definition a scam and should be trashed. Better yet, report it to PayPal, since they want to investigate those.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It's a scam.
    I have a PayPal account.
    Got an e-mail like this a month ago and sent it to PayPal.They verified it is a scam.There are some similar e-mails masquerading as correspondence from ebay.

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

It is from the same folks that brought you the Nigerian check scheme, fake lottery winning announcements, and an unclaimed Iraqi family fortune. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.