Email Encryption With InstantCrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by tobacco, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Just found this little known (free) program the other day called "InstantCrypt" - http://www.instantcrypt.com/index.php

Since most of my friends only use webmail and don't seem to want to bother with an email client, i was looking for something that i could recommend to them and could work with webmail and was "newbie friendly". And InstantCrypt does that and is that :). Still says in beta though but works fine here. Supports windows 7 but see no mention if compatible with 64bit.

It uses GPG and contains some "drag and drop" functionality during encryption and decryption.

I have yet to try it with email clients but successfully sent and received several encrypted emails with my aol account using the aol web interface, Firefox and InstantCrypt. Tried to do something like this previously with PGP Desktop without success (errors when decrypting)

There is a support forum and excluding the program creator, i am member #1 :D

Help files and demo clips available here - http://www.instantcrypt.com/InstantCrypt_Support.php

Attached Files:

2. Instantcrypt

Instantcrypt Registered Member

InstantCrypt 2.2.1 / Portable InstantCrypt 2.2.1 released

Just in case someone looks here, I just released InstantCrypt 2.1.1. It has minor improvements:

• The file import functions are more obvious to the user.
    • A portable version with a much smaller footprint than before (download 3.1 MB, on disk 5.5. plus your user files). Portable comes again with autostart functions for a USB stick (works up to Windows Vista, not in Windows 7 - Microsoft disabled that for security reasons! :)).
    • It also can decode Winmail.dat and Att...dat files, which Microsoft products sometimes send to annoy the recipient.

All the other functions stayed the same as described by tobacco above (thanks tobacco!).

Enjoy!
    Yours
    InstantCrypt

3. nix

nix Registered Member

I experimented with InstantCrypt the other day and like it tremendously. I, too, quickly was able to send encrypted emails to myself. I sent one to a respondent who does not use encryption, and he was not able to deal with the key attachment, so I was unable to get us set up for communication instantly. However, this is not InstantCrypt's fault. They have shortened the learning curve by providing some nice tutorials. I'm just not familiar with the drop and drag system. Plus, I'm trying to streamline the email recipient's learning curve, and I haven't had time to review all InstantCrypt's material. So I'll be giving it another go-around this week.

4. Instantcrypt

Dear nix,

Thank you for this response. It seems you are InstantCrypt's target audience: someone who would like encryption sometimes, but usually does not need to know all the ins-and-outs of computing. I am InstantCrypt's creator, and if you would write about your experience here, I'd be curious to know.

Hint: You do not need to use drag-and-drop. You can always use the more familiar copy-paste. To import keys, in the main menu do: Key Management | Import Key. Next. In the form "Import a Key From a File", you choose "Browse" to pick up the file that contains the key. - Let me know if this does not work for you.

Enjoy,
    InstantCrypt

5. nix

nix Registered Member

@ InstantCrypt
    I don't want to hijack tobacoo's thread ;) I've been a thread killer on Wilder's lately:p And I like it here, so I'm going to try and be a nice girl:eek:

But to answer you, I am looking for encryption that I can incorporate into communication systems designed for people who are new to encryption and anonymity. My clients cannot fool around. I need to evaluate the software for ease of use before I recommend it, and sometimes rework the tutorials if they seem counterintutive, etc.

As a linguist, I study and write on the theoretical aspects of encryption (and all communication applications) and I provide analysis of legal issues involved in the development and design of private communications platforms.

I'd love to continue this conversation and give you feeback. But perhaps tobacco would prefer that I not do it here. So, we can im or use your forum. Let me know.

6. Instantcrypt

Dear Nix,

thank you for your answer and for the politeness aspect too. I am not sure, if tobacco would mind or not (and on this occasion my best regards to tobacco!) -- but, why don't you open a thread in my InstantCrypt forum that would concentrate on discussing your ideas, maybe here:

http://instantcrypt.lefora.com/forum/category/instantcrypt-forum-topics-instantcrypt-how-does-it-work/

Just open a new topic and fire away. If I do not like it, as the administrator I can always delete it :D! But seriously, what you mentioned about your background, I am certainly interested in hearing what you have to say. Designing user-friendly software is not easy (as I found out the hard way), and I appreciate any input. Of course, I cannot promise to implement it all and at once...

Thanks again!
    InstantCrypt

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

No problems there Nix - be my guest ;)

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hello Instantcrypt - thank you and keep up the good work :thumb: Only a matter of time before the general public starts to grasp email security ;)

9. Instantcrypt

Dear tobacco,

I thought you would not mind. And thanks for your support! Nix could not login into insantcrypt's board at lefora. I'll let you know when this issue is cleared up and we can open our thread there (unless I forget). Stay in tune and stay in touch.

InstantCrypt

10. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Anybody else having problems unzipping the Portable version?

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Yes, just tried myself - same thing.

12. Instantcrypt

Thanks for letting me know. It unzips fine on my computer, but in another thread there was some reported unregularity. I'll have a look.

InstantCrypt

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  13. Instantcrypt

The bug is fixed! It was a bug in my php downloadscript, and I was lucky to find it within 1:15 hrs. It should work now. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks to warlocks and tobacco for letting me know. In addition, mighty thanks to poster dRag0nMa, who gave me a very valuable hint in another thread that helped me to find the bug.

InstantCrypt

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  14. Instantcrypt

InstantCrypt 2.3. was released today; I was probably inspired by some of the discussions here.
    New:
    Now "encrypt-to-self" set per default, i.e., the person encrypting and signing can always decrypt the message him/herself.
    I made minor improvements in the User interaction and fixed the annoying bug in 2.2.1 that some menu items were empty.

Thanks you guys for your interest.

Good luck!
    InstantCrypt

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  15. hugsy

hugsy Registered Member

Is there any software that uses pgp or any other open version without key pairs, only password.

16. Instantcrypt

Although instantcrypt has not implemented this feature, gpg can do that (called symmetric encryption) from the commandline: gpg --output doc.gpg --symmetric doc

This encrypts the file "doc" into the file doc.gpg.
    It will ask you for a password, used for encryption and
    decryption.
    For further instruction: http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/x110.html and the rest of www.gnupg.org

I do not know if there is a graphical user interface that you can use for this.

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.