Email download hanging with client protection enabled

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by wamattox, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wamattox

wamattox Registered Member

Greetings;

I am experiencing email download freezing with the email client protection enabled in ESS 4.0.467.0 new upgrade. It is hanging on the new flurry of "Facebook, Myspace" Kryptic trojan variant SPAMS. Hanging two workstations of the three that I am beta testing the upgrade on. These were the worst SPAM targets in the office.

Symptoms are hangs on the first instance of the virus, times out on the client and a couple of minutes later ESS reports the threat in a pop-up. I tried to tip-toe up on the problem by first disabling scan received mail and leaving on scan read. That had no effect and I went ahead and disabled the client protection temporarily. Thunderbird effectively caught the SPAM and diverted it.

Is there an in between approach that I can try? I'm not sure why the scan received didn't let the process complete.

The mail server is leaving the session open so it's not aware that there has been a problem. Also not marking delivered messages prior to the hang.

Thanks for your thoughts. Wayne

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you have the most current version of the signature database 4559 installed?

3. wamattox

wamattox Registered Member

Yes, now up to 4563 - We ended up having this problem on 4 stations - all but mine self corrected - perhaps there was a variant that hung us up until the signature database caught up? First experience with the phenom. Wayne

4. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

Which protocol do you use to receive emails (POP3 or IMAP)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.