Elite Toolbar removal solution.

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minstrel, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minstrel

Minstrel Registered Member

Just thought I would post this fix I came up with for Elite Toolbar. I had a customer who had it installed on their computer. It was causing all kinds of issues. I researched it on the interweb and found that while the company that released it has a removal tool on their web page, in most cases it messes up Windows because it integrates itself into Explorer, so after this so called fix removes the mal-ware, it leaves most systems unable to boot to the windows shell. The only other fix that I found listed was Kaspersky, but I also found mixed reviews on that.

Ok. Here are the instructions.
    First be sure to download a deployment copy of SP2 from Microsofts websight.
    Extract it to C:

1.) If you have SP2 installed, remove it.
    a. Go to start/control panel/add remove software. Highlight Microsoft Windows XP SP2 and click the remove button.

2.) Download a copy of Windows UBCD, or any disk that alows you to boot to a shell on CD will work.

3.) Create the boot disk and reboot your machine. You may have to go to the system bios in order to set the first boot device as a CD rom.
    b. Watch your startup screen and it will tell you what key to push to enter the bios.

4.) After it boots to the CD, use whatever file explorer it may have and search for Explorer on the c: drive. Or whatever disk your windows installation may be on.

5.) Delete all instances of Explorer from Windows installation.

6.) Now search the boot disk for explorer. Copy it and put it in every directory you removed it from in your win installation.

7.) Using whatever registry editor you may have on the boot disk, run a search for the word Elite. Delete every instance of Elite toolbar that comes up.

8.) Reboot your machine.

At this point you will get to the login screen and after you enter your password, you will get an error about schwapi.dll

Hold cntl + alt down and click delete.

In the task manager click file/new task

type in c:/SP2/xpsp2.exe

Let it run to completion. Reboot. And unless something interferes with SP2s reg rebuilder, you should be good to go.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  2. Pho3nix

Pho3nix Registered Member

Damn.
    That's abit too hard.

3. subratam

subratam Registered Member

umm ... I think a little confusion is here . The instructions are more for the Bube Trojan it seems.
    Detailed discussion by CalamityJane , MVP -- http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showtopic=3466

Regards

4. Minstrel

Minstrel Registered Member

Wow. So it was a virus. Hrmmm.

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.