EKRN.exe process going crazy

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Mikey2, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey2

Mikey2 Registered Member

Hi there,

I was just poking around "Resource Monitor" in Vista when I noticed the network connection was really going crazy. I looked it up and it was the "ekrn.exe" service.

Looking at ProcessExporer and other tools; it is sending and receiving a ton of packets from places like "completegrowth", "ar-in-f19.google.com", "ar-in-f83" etc...

I tried a bunch of things such as trying to stop the service (it comes right back,) shutting everything in the ESET off, etc...

Is this normal? Is my ESET installation/computer completely comprised?

2. kenw

kenw Registered Member

If you are using Internet Explorer, this is just a very wild guess.
    Internet Options / Browsing History / Settings
    I usually check the top or bottom setting.
    I also just found that the cache was set of 1024mb.

3. blued

blued Registered Member

I noticed that too, with the AV version 3.0621. The excess outbound data is puzzling, not too comfortable with it. Mentioned here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=198095

4. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

Do you have Windows Live installed. I found this program downloads all sorts of things and I got rid of it.

5. Mikey2

Mikey2 Registered Member

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Since posting this, I found that this scenario seems to only happen when I run and record with a program called "WM Recorder 11." It is a program that hijacks any web streams and allows you to record any live streaming media. It is pretty neat, but given the fact that it CONSTANTLY writes to the disk (for instance, if I am watching a movie, it saves the avi real-time onto my disk,) I think ekrn.exe gets confused and continually checks each bit (this is just a guess.)

I still do not like that it sends so much information both up and downstream and would love any tips on how to fix this. But at least it is not happening all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.