ekrn.exe 50% cpu utilization constantly

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by lemmingman, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemmingman

lemmingman Registered Member

I am an Eset newbie. I've been looking around for a new personal security suite and ESS came highly recommended. I uninstalled Trend Micro and installed ESS 4.0.437. The computer is a new lenovo T500, 32-bit XP SP3 with max RAM.

After updating the DB I rebooted. After reboot the ekrn.exe process consumes 50% cpu and ~50MB on this dual core. Stopping the real time file system protection brings the ekrn.exe back down to earth. Restarting it sends the process back to 50%.
    There are no scanning jobs running; I haven't really done much (if any) customization.

Not the kind of demo I was hoping for. :)

Anyone have any ideas to correct this condition?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check the last file scanned in the statistics window. If the same file appears there frquently, try excluding it from scanning. This was a problem with a certain application on notebooks that would constantly write debug information to an html file causing real-time protection to scan it again and again.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yep . There are a few things you should try . Follow these instructions

1> Visit this page and download the TrendMicro uninstaller (utility designed to check for and remove leftovers of this program) . Run it to make sure your previous av is removed

2> Open the user interface of ESS , press F5 button to open the entire advanced setup tree

3> Navigate to Real-time file system protection
    4> Next to ThreatSense engine parameters setup , press the "Setup" button
    5> Make ESS not to scan all file types but dangerous ones only - as shown here
    Confirm the changes with OK
    6> Navigate to Protocol filtering . Select Applications marked as Internet browsers and email clients as shown here
    7> Goto Web access protection → HTTP, HTTPS → Web browsers and make sure that only your web browser(s) (Internet Explorer , Mozilla Firefox , Google Chrome , Opera ...) is added/selected/checked.
    8> Confirm the changes with OK.
    9> Reboot the computer
    10> Download , install and run CCleaner (slim build) . It is used to remove unnecessary temporary files from your computer as well as remove some problems with your registry.

If the instructions above don't help , you could also check your computer for malware using online scanners such as Symantec's or Microsoft's Live scanner

ASpace

4. lemmingman

lemmingman Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys, it was spot on!

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

So , it is fine now ? :thumb:

6. RoninAR

RoninAR Registered Member

I am experiencing this issue and have tried the suggestions in this thread but am still having the issue. Any other ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.