ekern CPU spikes

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by orengreen, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orengreen

orengreen Registered Member

Hello,
    When clicking (to highlight) or double-clicking (to open) media files (avi files), my system freezes for 30-40 seconds. Task manager reveals this to be because of ekern taking up 99% CPU for that duration.
    I have configured ESS to ignore avi files, and even included the folder in my exclusion list, but this is still going on. What's going on with ekern??
    What can I do? I'd like exe, rar, and other files like these to keep getting scanned under the real-time protection, but avi files obviously cannot carry viruses...

Thanks!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Are those avi files accessible on the web? If so, can you provide me with the url?

3. orengreen

These are avi files on my hard drive, not on the web.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Submit some of the problematic files to support[at]eset.com
    Explain the problem , provide a link to this thread.If all the files are less than 0.5 MB , you can even use the internal web-form from Help>Contact Customer care

5. orengreen

These are big files, more than 100MB.
    In any case, they are not problematic files... just large video files...

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , if they are so big , then this is the problem . They need time until the program scan them everytime they are accessed (by explorer.exe)

Pretty normal for such big files and I wouldn't cosider that a bug .

Possibly a bug would be why the program still scans the AVI type files if you have excluded them.

7. orengreen

exactly,
    how do I get ESS to ignore them? I don't want to exclude explorer.exe

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Open the Advanced Setup Tree (press F5)

Navigate to Real time file system protection and begin editing its ThreatSense scan options . When you have opened the options of the Real time file system protection , navigate to "Extensions" . By default the program is set to scan files with all kind of extensions .

Please , uncheck the option to scan files with any extension . After you do that , a variety of extensions that are known to possibly carry threat will appear. Confirm with OK

Second,again open the Advanced Setup Tree (press F5)

Navigate to the Exclusions.Add an exclusions , browse to the folder where all these AVI files are stored . Confirm the folder to be added . After that , mark the folder and press edition -> manually edit in a way so that it looks like that example path (with star symbol at the end):
    C:\Docs\files\AVI\*

Confirm with OK and close . Restart the computer and report back your findings :)

9. orengreen

Now it's even worse!
    I did everything you suggested, and now ekern causes massive delayes when I even open the folder (that contains my avi files) itself!

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You can revert to version 2 of NOD32 if you want to and use it along with another firewall (there are many , NOD32 is compatible with all of them).

You can stay with this version until the problem is fixed :thumb:

11. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

I had the same problem but I decided as was advised here to uncheck all the Advanced Heuristics. It solved the problem until now. Anyway I think that in the future ESET should solve this without users to have to disable features.

12. orengreen

Yes, disabling features to overcome what is clearly a program bug defeats the whole purpose...

Dear ESET, I really liked NOD32, which is a great product, and I was looking forward to ESS being released. I still have faith in you guys, unlike the other "disappointed" users. Every program has some initial bugs, so I sympathize, but bugs such as this should really be corrected during beta stages.
    Please fix this ASAP, guys.

Thanks!

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I wouldn't disable AH on all modules because this would pose some security risk and threats detected thanks to it will be missed in real time.

14. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

What modules should have AH enabled?

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

At least enabled in the additional options on-create in the Real time file system protection.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.