einstaller fails

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by lidocaineus, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lidocaineus

lidocaineus Registered Member

We have a couple workstations completely outside our network but can hit the ERAS via VPN. Our default policy includes the IP address of the ERAS as the remote server, and doesn't specify it as a hostname in case it has dns resolving issues. The remote workstations can ping the IP and hit shares on it fine.

So the question is, why when we deploy either via email or via a package on a share does einstall just silently fail? I see it running for a few seconds in the process list, then it just stops. I'm assuming this is because the einstaller can't locate the ERAS and grab the remote install info from port 2224. But the remote workstations CAN hit the ERAS server via ping and there are no firewalls in the way (non-VPN clients work fine).

I even tossed in the hostname into the systemroot\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file in case it was trying to resolve the IP. No luck there either.

I guess it boils down to how does the einstaller connect to the ERAS when it's run, and where does it get that info? Is it contained in the package as part of the default policy provided you defined it in the default policy before? Is it somehow embedded when you deploy the package? Is it specified as an IP or hostname?

My last resort is to set up a new server available on a public IP (not over VPN) but that seems like overkill.

2. lidocaineus

Actually, it DOES look like the agent is hitting the ERAS. I just got these errors:

Diagnostics user context: N/A

Push installation simulation steps:
    Setting IPC$ Connection: Result Code: 1203 (No network provider accepted the given network path.)
    Remote Registry Connecting (OS Info): Result Code: 53 (The network path was not found.)
    Remote Registry Connecting (ESET Security Product Info): Result Code: 53 (The network path was not found.)
    Setting ADMIN$ Connection: Result Code: 1203 (No network provider accepted the given network path.)
    Setting IPC$ Connection: Result Code: 1203 (No network provider accepted the given network path.)
    Registering ESET Installer as a Service: Result Code: 1722 (The RPC server is unavailable.)
    Diagnostics conclusion: Result Code: 1603 (Fatal error during installation.)

WIN-127L6TN8U1B
    Diagnostics user context: corp.servercentral.net\administrator

Push installation simulation steps:
    Remote Registry Connecting (OS Info): Result Code: 53 (The network path was not found.)
    Remote Registry Connecting (ESET Security Product Info): Result Code: 53 (The network path was not found.)
    Setting ADMIN$ Connection: Result Code: 1203 (No network provider accepted the given network path.)
    Registering ESET Installer as a Service: Result Code: 1722 (The RPC server is unavailable.)
    Diagnostics conclusion: Result Code: 1603 (Fatal error during installation.)

Does this indicate that the ERAS can't initiate a connection BACK to the client's shares?

3. lidocaineus

Well, found out the problem. The workstation's not on the active directory properly, so the ERAS can't access the admin$ share properly.

Is there a way to roll this out without using the admin share?

4. lidocaineus

Looks like direct installation (or at least sending over a direct install) + xml config is the way to go... going to try that.

5. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

That is what I would. Provided your cfg.xml is in the same folder as the .exe then it will be installed with all your preferences.

Jim

6. lidocaineus

Yep, that worked. I also managed to figure out how to do the integrated msi + config with one file instead of a separate cfg.xml file. It's documented, but the workflow to get it done is a bit wonky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.