Eicar strange detection failure

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dkazaz, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkazaz

dkazaz Registered Member

I've noticed a strange thing in Nod32. I've donloaded the archived versions of the eicar test files (I over-rode IMON's objections to the download).

Now when I try to extract the eicar.com file AMON stops it cold. But when I right click the folder where the archive is and run a virus scan, it fails to detect anything. Also when I ask Winrar to do a virus check or right click the files themselves and scan them, I still get nothing.

I'm using the latest definitions and I'm pretty sure I've configured the scanner to scan archives.

Any ideas?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I just did the same that you describe. NOD32 detected eicar both automatically and manually . No problems here .

May be you should reinstall NOD32 and use the latest version 2.51.26

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

The latest version has nothing whatsover to do with this issue.

Blackspear.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No problems here (with the latest version).

and when a reinstallation is needed , why not to have the latest,no matter the difference.
    I mean that I did what dkazaz did with 2.51.26 and no problems

5. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

When you run an on-demand scan, go to the "Setup" and tick "Archives (e.g. zip/rar files)", press the "Quit" button and then choose to save when it asks so. Now try to run another scan.

PS! Have a look at Blackspear's settings thread to find out how to set up NOD32 properly. And make sure it is the right profile (the one you use when you right click, either "Context menu Profile" or "My Profile") that you are making the changes to.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Did you test it with eicar.zip or eicar.rar ?

7. dkazaz

dkazaz Registered Member

Thanks to everybody for your help.:) I suspect I had not modified the context menu settings correctly. I will try this when I get home and report back.

For the record I was using the latest nod32 version and was testing it on eicarcom2.zip and eicar_com.zip which I downloaded via https.

8. dkazaz

dkazaz Registered Member

As people susgested I had not set the context menu scanning options adequately. Although it was set for archives I hadn't set the action correctly (I think).

I have to say having used Nod32 for a couple of days now (previously a norton and f-secure user) I'm impressed with the capabilities but put off by the interface and configuration style. There are many many places where I have to set a lot of options, many repetitive and this worries me because there are many places where I could forget something and leave myself vulnerable.

I'd love it if there were configuration profiles or wizards to take you through the setup thoroughly but I guess the high AV quality will have to be enough for now :)

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I suspect the next version will do just that. [Just my opinion] :D

10. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

You might read this thread. It is a workable compromise.
    Installing NOD32 with BS Extra settings - in no time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.