effects of kis on system...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what are they i grabbed 3 copies that were free after rebates just because they were free. im hesitant to install due to ichecker and iswift though, how is kis7 as far as system slowdown. where would you place it when compared to say avira, nortons 2008 or fsecure. i donr want a vs thread just simply the effects of running it on your system from your own experiences. i like avira because i dont even know its ever running except at updates.. thanks

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Make an image of your system before installing KAV/KIS and use it when you want to get rid of KAV/KIS and its objectIDs :)

3. zfactor

why was this implemented anywayo_O does any other av use these methods?

4. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

To speed up scanning, but it's beyond me why they decided to keep it.

5. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Very smooth, very problem-free. The iSwift issue has been blown up beyond all proportions. Never had an issue, neither with the program itself nor the "chkdsk"-issue, and I've used KIS over several Windows installations, several operating systems, even several computers.

Just image your system before installing. If you don't like it, revert to the pre-KIS image, and everything will be back to the way it was, and the object ID:s will be gone, too.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So what are the effects if KIS is simply removed without a previous image? What does it leave behind?

7. zfactor

what is the general ram usage of kis7? thanks

8. King Grub

Two processes, one takes 3-4 MB, the other 5-10, in normal operation.

9. zfactor

wow very little ram usage!!!!!!

10. King Grub

NTFS-identifiers created by iSwift, as described here:

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/faq?qid=186010624

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Agree with King Grub. Have used KIS 6, now KIS 7 and looking forward to KIS 8. Never had an issue with CHKDSK, etc. Only slight issues have been Antispam toolbar issue in OE under KIS 6 (Resolved in KIS 7). The two processes currently taking up 6.6Mb & 8.8Mb but it does vary slightly either way...but I think that an average of 16Mb for what it does is very good.

There is a little slow down in web access due to the web av scanning but to be honest you do not really notice it and for the protect it offers I think it is irrelevant.

Am not changing my security setup any time soon, especially with the MP1 release coming soon and KIS 8 on the horizon which looks like being another significant leap forward...from what I have heard about the projected functionality.

Hope that helps? :D

12. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

Hello

I dont see any slow down with kis7 with everything maxed

Ram usage is very small,

3 years license with them thanks system tweak :thumb: great deal :-*

I have not had the "chkdsk error" or any problems to be honest

all round great suite 10/10

13. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

I am loving Kaspersky so far. I have had the trial installed for 2-3 weeks now. I have no CHKDSK issues so far. On my PC it is very quick, it has 2 processes currently using 8K memory usage each. The protection is VERY good. I have tested it's web scanner by attempting to download some infections, it stops them before they even have a chance to download.

I am very impressed so far and will almost certainly be buying a 1 year licence this month. I will probably also replace NOD32 with Kaspersky on my family PC, simply because it is so damn cheap right now and I can't see why I would pay out £26.99 for a 1 year NOD32 licence when it doesn't offer any huge improvements.

How do I make an image of my system?

14. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

15. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Here's my take on the ObjectID issue (having used KIS, my wife's machine still does - She won't let me take it off lol). For most people, this does not cause any issue at all. You will notice a slowdown on chkdsk, but that should be the extent of trouble.

Having said that, I personally don't like when software leaves things behind when uninstalled. I get annoyed at Norton for all of the fragments in the registry, etc., and I'm annoyed at the ObjectID changes. Again, that doesn't mean its a problem, its more a personal "pet peeve".

Kaspersky is one of the top AVs out there, and KIS will let you sleep well at night with your PC well protected.

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The object IDs :)
    Disk image
    DriveImage XML

17. TJP

TJP Registered Member

[FONT=&quot]I'm a recent convert to KIS 7 & I think it’s a great suite; very low resource usage, super fast scanning (thanks to iSwift) & great protection. I've noticed no slowdown when browsing/downloading.

As for chkdsk issues, I have not had a single problem.

ObjectID's can be removed very easily - open a command prompt, select a drive & then enter the following: FOR /R %a IN (*.*) DO @ECHO. && @ECHO - %a && @FSUTIL ObjectID Delete "%a"

The above was posted by Blue Zannetti in the "Is KAV working on chkdsk?" thread. This removal process works, I've run the command several times whilst in the process of trialling other av suites.

Sure, it would have been nice of Kaspersky to provide users with an automated objectID removal tool but not hard to remove them manually. In fact, it’s quite often harder to remove legacy registry entries that nearly all AV's leave behind than Kaspersky's objectID's!

Cheers.
    [/FONT]

18. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Registered Member

Could someone share pointers to "deals" on Kaspersky, please?

I tried the Kaspersky Suite on my desktop Vista system for a couple weeks and it seemed reasonable. I could tell it was there but it didn't really load down the system. The firewall bugged me every once in a while but not bad (although perhaps by default it wasn't set to a particularly secure configuration). I never seem to get viruses so the fact that it wasn't finding any is no surprise.

I couldn't see paying $80/year for any software subscription and the anti-virus was only slightly cheaper. So I've been trying BitDefender the last two days and it just continually keeps my machine revving its cooling fan every few minutes day and night. I have one of those hot-running 3.2GHz Pentium 4's so I can always tell from across the room when the CPU goes over 30% and with BitDefender suite running that's a lot of the time.

So if I could find a way to get even just the anti-virus part of Kaspersky for $20, $30, $40 per year I'd go with that on both the desktop ane the notebook I'm getting for Christmas (although honestly the pre-installed Norton suite seems to be pretty quiet and not as piggy as its reputation except for when it's doing downloads).

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Right now you can get a 3 user KIS license from Amazon for $65 with a $65 rebate offer, see here

Blue

20. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Well spoken TJP ;)

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If you do not want to mess with the rebates you can buy an OEM of KIS 7 for $19.95. I believe shipping is $3.95. I purchased an OEM of KIS from computersworth.com and just typed the OEM key into my 30 day trial which I downloaded from kaspersky.com and everything worked fine.

http://store.purplus.net/kainse60oem.html

If you just want the AV you can get it here for $20.95 (shipping is $3.95)-

http://store.purplus.net/kaan70oem.html

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  22. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The only caution that I'd add is, since Brent mentioned a desktop and laptop, to verify that you obtain a 1-3 user license product if you want multiple licenses. The OEM may be a 1 user/1 PC only license. In other words, verify the details before jumping and buy accordingly

Blue

23. auchkoenig

auchkoenig Registered Member

How do remove the ObjectID remnant after I've uninstall KIS7?

I tried the trial for a few days and went back to NOD 2.7 because my browsing was slower with KIS7.

I did not image my harddisk, so what option do I have?

Sorry for the noob question.

24. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Registered Member

Look six posts previous to yours, from earlier today. Complete instructions!

25. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

The only reason I "blew it out of proportions" at DSLReports.com http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18608452-Kaspersky-You-lost-me-at-ISwift was becasue Kaspersky took it upon themselves to alter user's systems without consent and they, TO THIS DAY, haven't provided users with a removal tool. Dirty, deceitful, and nasty..

That's all..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.