Echo Enterprise Universal Restore to VM

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MHRx, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHRx

MHRx Registered Member

I am trying to restore images from Echo using Universal Restore to a VM environment and keep getting the dreadded BSOD (boot device issues) when the VM boots following the restore. I have tried both BusLogic and LSI SCSI as an option in VM and even injected the downloaded BusLogic scsi drivers from VM, all without luck. Is there some trick I am missing to complete this successfully? (I'd prefer not to use the Acronis native conversion to VMDK as it creates a VM disk the size of the original hardware (including all empty space), fyi, which is why I am attempting the restore in this fashion.)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

2. MHRx

MHRx Registered Member

No one has done a restore of Echo into a VM? Please, throw me a bone! :)

3. xkravenx

xkravenx Registered Member

Instead of trying to use Universal Restore to a VM why not use the Convert feature from TrueImage?

I have used the GUI version of TrueImage with UR and pointed at the VM Drivers and it worked. I have not been able to use the Command Line to work though.

Another option is to use Vmware Converter to Convert a TIB file to a VM.

4. MHRx

MHRx Registered Member

The reason we wanted to avoid the converter was to prevent the VM disk size of being the full size of the original server drives (ie - it would be 250 gig even though the data is only 20 and we would have otherwise put it on a 35gb vm disk). What drivers did you point UR to if you don't mind me asking and which SCSI controller were you using? I tried to use the Buslogic drivers from VM themselves but it also failed.

5. xkravenx

xkravenx Registered Member

I added the Vmware SCSI drivers and the LSI Logic Drivers and whatever mass storage driver I found on my drivers folder.

I think you have a diffrent problem. Your source disk is 250GB? and your target disk is 50GB... Though you only use 10GB of used space. I think you can only image from a smaller image to a larger image. I am not 100% sure of this..

6. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Acronis hold the drivers itself under

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Universal Restore\Driverspack etc...

these will work!

7. MHRx

MHRx Registered Member

I will give those a shot, thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.