ECC RAM or Non ECC RAM

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am thinking about building a UTM (Unified Threat Management) Device. In many cases I see that server motherboards require ECC RAM. Sometimes the server motherboards do not require ECC RAM.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using ECC RAM rather than Non-ECC RAM?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Remember, Bing Google is your friend.

The important thing to remember is to buy RAM with the same specs as RAM listed on the motherboard's QVL - qualified vendors list - as found on the motherboard's website. The RAM QVL lists a bunch of RAM the board maker tested and verified to work with THAT SPECIFIC motherboard. While you should buy a CPU listed on the CPU QVL, there are too many RAM makers and models for the board makers to test them all. So again, buy RAM that matches the specs of listed RAM.

3. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

error correction & control "ECC" ram is simply a bit slower at any given speed then normal ram but is more stable,its like a real time scan disk for your ram.
    that's why its used on servers and or mission critical computers.

when it comes to servers, up time and a stable computer are all important and its why if you want to setup a dedicated server its best to use buffered ecc ram from a brand name.
    some software to help you on your way on this topic.

smoothwall
    zentyal - recommended, bested on Ubuntu server.
    bothunter
    ipcop
    untangle
    project honeynet
    backtrack 5

btw you really don't need a power house computer to do this kind of thing.
    as well if you want to cheat on the server hardware side with a new cpu some of the AMD K10 FX-8150 bulldozer 8 core cpus support ECC ram on non-server mobos ;)

H-100 water cooler recommended {the heat off that cpu is sick}

their ya go i did some of your home work for ya :D
    PS good link their bill.
    i forgot about that one , its all ways good for some "lolz"

dirt cheap old school server mobo that's stable like mad tyan tiger mpx! twin AMD k7 sokit 462 support {3200+ 2200mgz x2 cpus} ECC dubble bit error correction support full ecc scrub, full buffered registered memory support.
    cost ? with ram + cpu + mobo $40 off cregs list.
    go for two gigs ram,you know you want to.
    btw that mobo likes power, you'll need a quality 500watt for it and for bonus points add in piles of network cards,id go 3com hardware cards myself but that's just me.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.