EAV4 & Win7 - slow!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DwayneR, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DwayneR

DwayneR Registered Member

Good day to all.

I've just installed EAV 40474 (64 bit) into my new Win7 Pro (64 bit) box. This is a Q9300 with 8GB RAM

I'm doing an initial scan of both 1TB hard drives (each less than 1/3 full) and noticing that the scan is running VERY slowly. I see EAV4 spending somewhere between 1/2 sec to 3/4 sec on each file.

I don't have much experience with EAV4 - all of my other machines are still running version 3. However, scanning on my other machines (XP Home, XP Pro) occurs MUCH more quickly than what I'm seeing on the Win7 box.

I'd like an opinion as to whether this is normal or whether I need to start looking for problems of some sort.

Many thanks!

dwayne

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Scanning the same files with the same settings and modules must take the same time on equivalent systems. It's not a good idea to run a full disk scan every time the oper. system starts as it would take ages with any AV, depending on how much files and especially archives are on the disk. A full system scan should be run only occasionally when the computer is idle, otherwise the startup scans should be enough.

3. DwayneR

DwayneR Registered Member

I agree with you - I'd NEVER ask for a full scan everytime the system boots.

However, this full scan took far longer than it should have - I didn't time the whole thing because it was still running when I left for the evening yesterday (I started the scan in the morning). It was finished when I got in to work this morning, though.

The scanning speed just feels 'wrong' compared with scan speed in all of my other machines running NOD32.

I don't have the faintest idea how to go about finding out why - thus my request for assistance.

Many thanks!

dwayne

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try disabling scanning archives / sfx archives and see how much it speeds up scans. Also compare the number of scanned files on those computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.