EAV4 vs Word 2007 vs MOSS2007

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Geosoft, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Hi There,

We are encountering significant performance issues with EAV4 with Word 2007 scanning documents for a long significant period of time when retrieving them from a Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server. Opening documents over SMB runs fine.

Currently the problem is known to exist on EAV4. Disabling "Document Scanning" in the EAV client still shows Word 2007 Scanning for Viruses upon opening. The problem does not appear to exists with EAV3 at this time, but I'm still trying to do some testing to see what is going on.

Is there anyone I can call to attempt to troubleshoot this issue? Our company has a license until 2011.

2. Geosoft

Cannot seem to find the source of this problem at this time, and its the end of day for me here. I'll continue on tomorrow morning, if I have some time available.

3. MichaelG

MichaelG Registered Member

Did you find a solution im having a similar problem..

michael.

4. elang

elang Registered Member

Same problem here. Running version 4.0.424 on Windows 7 RC.

Opening a word or excel document from sharepoint takes 10-15 seconds before you get an authentication prompt, then after you enter your credentials another 5-10 seconds before the document opens.

I uninstalled Nod, and it drops to 1-2 seconds.

I tried entering the URL of the sharepoint server in the exclusion list in Nod, but that had no effect.

Any ideas anyone?

5. Geosoft

I currently do not have a solution to this problem.

This is a major sticking point for our company into deploying EAV4. We are steadfast with this release until it gets fixed.

I wish ESET didn't feel the need to have a document scanner. Macro viruses have gone to the wayside. Not to mention, Office 2007 has very good security techniques to make sure that macro's do not run on first open.

6. Geosoft

Here is what I have done so far:

* Disabling document scanner does not resolve the issue
    * Excluding the Sharepoint address in web scanner does not resolve the issue
    * Could not find where the antivirus scanner add-ins would be found in Office 2007.
    * If you load one document from MOSS, it'll take forever to load. Leave that document open and then open a second document from MOSS . Second document loads "like butter"...
    * Disabling all of ESET EAV4 protection still does not resolve the issue.

There has to be some type of .dll file that is being loaded into Office 2007 for the document scanner. I say this because even if you disable EAV, and you load a MOSS document, word STILL says it is scanning for viruses.

I have to do the disable SSL scanner bypass for all clients because of Outlook Anywhere issues with EAV4 as mentioned here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1360776&postcount=16

7. elang

elang Registered Member

Thanks for the info Geosoft.

I've never experienced the Outlook issue, even though I am using Outlook Anywhere.

However, our sharepoint server is using SSL, so I'm going to try your trick to disable SSL scanning and see if that works for our sharepoint site.

Update: It did. Sharepoint now works like it should.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.