EAV and Windows Vista: Please help!!!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kofi, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kofi

kofi Registered Member

Hi everyone!!

I am a Windows XP Home user, until a week ago when I bought a laptop PC with Vista Home Premium (CPU Core 2 2.2GHz and 2MB RAM). I installed EAV 3 onto my new PC and when I tried to scan, I get the following messages:

C:\.................. - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

In addition, the scan takes too long to finish and EAV scans about 95000 files. I tried to scan with Kaspersky (real time protection disabled) with no such problems and KAV scanned 270000.

http://www.imageshack.gr/view.php?file=agb4b5wce9tnh7a03jd8.jpg

When I turned UAC off, everything was fine (the EAV scan is quicker with 270000 as well).
    Does anyone have any similar problems? Can you tell me how I can "bypass" UAC without turning it off?
    o_O o_O o_O o_O

2. jayt

jayt Registered Member

You could try right clicking Nod32 and chose "run as administrator". It might help.

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I reported this issue way back in August during the 1st beta, NOD used to report an "internal error" back then, same errors though, unable to process compressed files properly with UAC enabled. Eset either can not or will not fix it apparently. For whatever reason NOD 2.7 is not affected by this problem.

4. kofi

kofi Registered Member

So I quess I'm not the only one....
    Disabling UAC, will lead to decreased security to a new OS.
    I think that this "internal error" is a really major fact for the reliability of Eset.
    What shall I do? Downgrade to 2.7 or WinXP? I 'm using Nod32 for the last few years and I was really proud because I had the best antivirus in the market........

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Q: What shall I do?

A: First thing will be to uninstall any other antivirus and antispyware programs you have

Contact ESET Support and let them advise you - they will either provide you with suggestion how to fix the issue with the current v3 or will advice you install v2.7 (Open the interface -> Help -> Contact Customer care)

6. flyrfan111

7. kofi

kofi Registered Member

Thank you HiTech_boy. I installed nod32 at first and after this issue, I installed KAV just to test if something is going wrong with my computer. I have no other AV or antispyware onto my system, except Microsoft defender.

And yes, I have contacted the customer support 2 days ago and I have no response from them.

I wonder if in the future versions of EAV there will be a patch or a fix for this issue (No other vendor has that particular problem).

8. flyrfan111

I highly doubt it, as I said this issue was identified in the 1st beta almost 4 months ago and has yet to be addressed. My suggestion is find another AV. As you have already found your questions will fall on deaf ears.

As a temporary fix, downgrade to 2.7

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

10. flyrfan111

Why should he have to wait a few more days? As I said, this problem was reported August 25th, that was 3 months and 21 days ago they should have had a solution long before now.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Because this is something that is not happening on all computers , not on all Vista machines , it may be something related to Vista's UAC and ESET may have a solution .

12. flyrfan111

If you read the threads it is easily reproduceable and Marcos had stated a long time ago that it would be fixed with a definition update back in November and still no solution, that tells me that they were able to reproduce it at least, so it is not an off the wall type problem. I sent them every file they requested until they said they knew what the problem was and would fix it, that was more than a month ago.

Life is too short to wait for a company to get it's act together, don't get me wrong 2.7 was an awesome product that I used for 3 years, however 3.0 was released way too early which is sad for a product that had a year of development and an almost 3 month public beta.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It seems that it is Vista specific and I think it doesn't hurt to wait for ESET official word again (here or either to let him know personally) .

14. kofi

kofi Registered Member

I have sent a message to Eset customer support on Friday and still no reply....:( .

Come on Eset.....

15. flyrfan111

Don't say I didn't warn you.

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I won't :D

17. flyrfan111

Coming up on 36 hours and still not a single reply/response from anyone from Eset. Can't say I am surprised though.

18. kofi

kofi Registered Member

I will keep posting questions everyday until they get so upset and tired to answer to my questions....

Hallo Eset!!!! Could you please read this topic and pay attention to your customerso_O?

19. flyrfan111

Good luck, I have been trying for almost four months.

20. buridan

buridan Registered Member

I guess I'll be avoiding this one in my search for the optimal AV program. NOD32 was almost a no brainer given all the *past* reviews. What a difference a version makes. Thanks for the discussion...

21. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Not quite accurate, Prevx2 has a big problem with UAC & as such, the Vista version is listed as Beta.

Note: Doesn't everyone turn off UAC? :doubt:

22. kofi

kofi Registered Member

First of all prevx is not an antivirus program. It is a behavior control software.
    Second: Avira, avast, AVG (!!), bitdefender, norton(!!), mcafee, drweb, etc do not have a "decompression" problem.
    Third: I have already turned off UAC, but I am losing the only good thing that Vista has. Sorry but, I DO NOT WANT to turn off UAC. I want my antivirus which I have paid to be stable and work as it should have...
    I am not being rude... I am upset. I am an Eset customer and I do not want a fix or a patch immediately. I am just waiting for a single reply to my request, or even a "we are trying to solve the problem right now" .....

23. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Note :
    ESET/NOD32 is from the very few program which show any information about inability to scan a file at all . I know only of EA and Kaspersky , no other program displays such info or there are very few which do this. So you cannot for sure tell that they don't have a decompression problem or cannot scan a file because it is locked , or so.

Well , it is definitely not my job to do it , but just a reminder that this is a support forum and Marcos , AGoretsky , Mayth , GhostMan are all people from the Tech Support depts. They are not Public Relations/Marketing people so it is basically not their job to do it . mrtwolman is not a PR , too .

ESET may need to have a PR person here , which is not a bad idea , but is another topic ... In my opinion sometimes there is no need to write too much telling everyday that there is something to be fixed and that they are working (of course they are working , what can they be doing if not working ?) but an action , a new version is a better one . Sorry for acting as a PR right now , I understand it is not my role but just my 2 cents :thumb:

:thumb:

24. pbw3

pbw3 Registered Member

Hi,

Do you have a problem at all in admin mode?

Am running Vista Business on a new laptop, also 2 + 2 etc, and have just put in v3. Mine also scans roughly 270000 files fine, but whether as limited user or admin.

However, I am finding that SuperAdblocker has the problem running as limited user; it finds things OK, but then won't successfully quarantine / delete them unless I run in admin mode.

I have no intention of switching UAC off, so simply switch user and run SAD in admin mode, whilst also logged in as limited user for normal work (and hence also run ESET anyway as admininstrator).

The switch user facility is pretty quick and painless. I keep TASK manager open (for all users) in limited user so that I know when the programs running under admin have stopped running (whether for a problem that needs response or because they have finished).

Actually, I didn't think of running the programs as an administrator (without specifically logging on as admin). That would be even simpler. I'll try it...:)

Regards
    Peter

25. flyrfan111

This is the OFFICIAL SUPPORT FORUM for NOD32, not a PR forum, PR people work in advertising not in Tech Support. When people are posting about problems with the software they expect to be dealing with a Tech Support person and not some PR geek blowing smoke up their you know what. This issue needs Tech Support and not PR, the problem comes when people post here and get ignored, no ammount of PR will repair the damage done when TS ignores customers. This issue was identified when the product was still in Beta and it should have been fixed THEN or at least during the RC cycle. It most certainly should not be present a month and a half after being released, but it is. That's why I am not surprised one bit, Eset didn't listen to it's customers during the beta phase, So why expect them to start now.

PS; Don't be insulted HiTechBoy, I was not refering to you as a PR geek, I know you do not work for Eset and I realize you are trying to help, my frustration is with Eset and not with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.