EAV 4.0.474 - TEMP & OLD Files - Why kept?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Sunshine803, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunshine803

Sunshine803 Registered Member

I have noticed that suddenly my system disk's free space is reduced by about 40mb and after a day or so it (may) come back to what it was - until it happens again - and so on.

I managed to pinpoint the reason to two NOD32 files, almost equal in size ~20mb each that keep 'coming and going'...

These files are:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles\temp\em002_32.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles\oldfiles\en002_32.dat

I wonder:
    1. What is the purpose of these files?
    2. Why are they not cleared after each signature update?
    3. Is it safe to delete them manually?

Please inform/advise.
    Thanks

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

Do not delete these files unless you are instructed to do so for troubleshooting purposes.

4. Sunshine803

Sunshine803 Registered Member

Thank you both for your replies.
    I won't delete the files but I am still wondering why NOD32 does not clear them, given the 'temp' and 'old' nature of the two files. They are cleared eventually in a day or two, only to reappear soon afterwards. They take a sizeable chunk of C: (40mb) and would be handy if they were cleared by the system. Unless they serve some specific purpose in which case I wonder what that is?...

5. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

I think those are old versions of program modules that were updated and it keeps the old copy around for a while in case it needs to roll back or the install fails.

6. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

Could we please have an ESET Moderator look at this thread since I or others do not want to advise the OP to do a manual uninstall, as it is likely not needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.