EAV 3.0 - Clarifications needed on configuration

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Philippe_FR22, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello all,
    I just upgrade, this morning, from NOD32 v2.7 to EAV 3.0... That sounds good and graphical interface is very nice... Program seems to be very effective, I tested some eicar detections...
    Well, now speaking about configuration :
    During upgrade I activated threatsense and potientially undesirable contents detection and let ESET configure with default parametres. I activated advanced interface and navigated into advanced configuration tab.

My configuration : ZoneAlarm Pro v7, IExplorer 7, Microsoft Outlook 2002

Questions :
    1) Under email protection, I let default parameters and EAV seems to be well integrated into Ms Outlook. However I noticed, under pop3 email client, there is only one application : vsmon (from ZoneAlarm pro) and no check mark.
    Should I add Ms Outlook ? What is the difference if not ? Does application must be checked to be considered by EAV as pop3 client or default configuration in configuration tab as Microsoft Outlook plugin is sufficient ?
    I'm sorry, but this part of configuration is not clear for me

2) The same question but with hhtp client, under web browser. Only vsmon appears and either not checked ( note that active mode is not checked for vsmon). So should I have Iexplorer 7 checked as a web browser ? In active mode ? What the impact if not selected as web browser ? and what is the difference with active or not active ?

Thanks in advance....
    Sorry for my poor english, I'm a poor french guy

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

While it does not hurt to add items, it is my understanding that if you choose to select Application entries only in regards to Protocol filtering setup, you would definetly need to add your e-mail client.

EmailSetup.jpg

3. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Thank you for your response...
    I understand, yes, it is a possibility...
    In fact, I think that these points are not well explained by ESET.
    My point of view is that :
    If browsers and mail clients must be selected, in prefered configuration, during installation process, EAV should ask customer to set internet browsers and mail clients, based on those detected by installation wizard, or if none are detected, to ask user to manualy select their browsers.

If somebody has some more informations on the best way to configure http and pop3 detection (best = best compromize between security and low ressources), I would be pleased to learn about that !

Well in fact I need answers on EAV 3 behaviour, regarding browsers and mail clients :
    1) If none are selected or detected by installation wizard (it was the case for me : only vsmon detected, as it is (as far as I know) the Checkpoint ZAP proxy)
    2) If only vsmon is selected for both
    3) If vsmon is not selected, and IE7 and OUTLOOK are selected...

Well what is the real difference in ESET AV behaviour ?

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.