EasyMigrate 7.0 - SBS 2003 - Broken Shadow Copy / Volume Snapshot

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by abenson, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abenson

    abenson Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Posts:
    2
    We recently replaced our system drive, migrating the data with EasyMigrate 7.0 on our Windows SBS 2003 server.

    Everything seemed perfect and wonderful until we tried to perform a backup.

    The backup fails with:

    Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "Backup.bkf created 3/27/2009 at 4:47 PM"

    Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.

    Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:0x8004230f.

    Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:8004230f
    Aborting Backup.

    ----------------------

    The operation did not successfully complete.

    ----------------------



    Looking into things further, we go to My Computer, right click "C:" drive, and do properties, and then click on "Shadow Copies", and we get this error message:

    Failed to retrieve volumes that are eligible for shadow copies.

    Error 0x8004230f: The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation.




    Looking further yet, we go to event viewer and find:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: VSS
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 12293
    Date: 3/27/2009
    Time: 4:48:54 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: GFIOCD
    Description:
    Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::QueryVolumesSupportedForSnapshots(ProviderId,29,...) [hr = 0x8000ffff].

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 2d 20 43 6f 64 65 3a 20 - Code:
    0008: 43 4f 52 4d 47 4d 54 43 CORMGMTC
    0010: 30 30 30 30 30 33 32 35 00000325
    0018: 2d 20 43 61 6c 6c 3a 20 - Call:
    0020: 43 4f 52 4d 47 4d 54 43 CORMGMTC
    0028: 30 30 30 30 30 32 38 31 00000281
    0030: 2d 20 50 49 44 3a 20 20 - PID:
    0038: 30 30 30 30 34 31 31 36 00004116
    0040: 2d 20 54 49 44 3a 20 20 - TID:
    0048: 30 30 30 30 33 30 33 32 00003032
    0050: 2d 20 43 4d 44 3a 20 20 - CMD:
    0058: 43 3a 5c 57 49 4e 44 4f C:\WINDO
    0060: 57 53 5c 53 79 73 74 65 WS\Syste
    0068: 6d 33 32 5c 76 73 73 76 m32\vssv
    0070: 63 2e 65 78 65 20 20 20 c.exe
    0078: 2d 20 55 73 65 72 3a 20 - User:
    0080: 4e 54 20 41 55 54 48 4f NT AUTHO
    0088: 52 49 54 59 5c 53 59 53 RITY\SYS
    0090: 54 45 4d 20 20 20 20 20 TEM
    0098: 2d 20 53 69 64 3a 20 20 - Sid:
    00a0: 53 2d 31 2d 35 2d 31 38 S-1-5-18



    I've been searching on the web and have found many people with similar-sounding problems, with solutions talking about re-registering various DLLs.

    What do we need to do to fix this? We can't backup the machine anymore.

    Thanks!
    Andrew
     
  2. dasoussan

    dasoussan Registered Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Posts:
    1
  3. abenson

    abenson Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Posts:
    2
    I ended up solving it -- it had to do with the master boot record not having a new drive signature (like a serial number).

    I used mbrfix. It wouldn't let me run it on the boot desk when I had booted from it, so I ended up doing:

    1- Download mbrfix (http://www.sysint.no)
    2- Download BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/)
    3- Use BartPE to create a preinstalled environment, copying mbrfix to that env. I was a little worried that this step would be a huge pain in the butt, but it really wasn't. I ran the program, and it just worked. Same thing with PEtoUSB (see below).
    4- Downloaded, installed and ran PEtoUSB. (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/PeToUSB.shtml) This took my preinstalled environment and boot it on a USB flash drive.
    5- Rebooted the server from the USB flash drive
    6- THEN ran mbrfix

    I ran "mbrfix /drive 0 driveinfo", "mbrfix /drive0 drivesize", and "mbrfix /drive 0 listpartitions" to make sure I was operating on the correct drive, and then finally ran:

    MBRFix /drive 0 savembr c:\sigdrv0.mbr <-- This saves a backup
    MBRFix /drive 0 fixmbr /yes

    Rebooted from the hard drive and everything was better. Volume Shadow Copy and related utilities are now fixed and everything is good.

    Thanks!!
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.