Easy Transfer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WYC999, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

I have a question that is way over my head. It's about the normal user migration tool for Windows: Easy Transfer.

Given you have the following scenario:
    -Win7 source machine / Win7 destination machine
    - Partition from source to destination do differ, but System is always C
    - On source machine i changed some keys in the registry, that the user profile is saved on D:\Users, this path is available on destination machine
    - For some programs i changed where they save their settings, but this partitions might NOT be available

I have now some questions about this scenario, which i don't understand. Unfortunately i don't have any profound knowledge about the registry as well:
    • If i install maybe only 60% of the Software of the source machine, will using Easy Transfer spam my registry or make it erroneous?
    • If i transfer only the "windows settings" which is in my installation about 135 MB what exactly does this feature do?
    • How do you guys handle this when you move to another machine, I mean all the settings of programs that is making one kinda nuts to do by hand. Other software other ideas?
    • Experiences with Easy Transfer?

Hope really that some people can shade a little light on this. If you want to buy every 3-4 Years a new computer and use more than average number of programs and spent lots of time on settings this becomes a serious problem.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

If you have an external drive or are willing to move the internal drive, you can just image or clone the drive from the source machine to the new machine. You may have to reactivate Windows however all your programs, settings, everything will be exactly the same.

Personally, I don't mind redoing the settings for a new computer. But then again, I suppose I may be using far less programs than other people.

3. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

Hi WSFuser,

that's pretty theoretical because:
    1. With almost certainty you will not use same hardware
    2. After a couple of years you will propably have a new OS
    3. Over the years of usage OS might be a little corrupted so you want to start clean

Or did you mean running image in VM?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Nope I meant cloning the hard disk. Anyways:

1. As for hardware, I am fairly certain there are imaging programs that do let you transfer to different hardware.

2. Your post says the source and destination machines both have Windows 7. When you do get Windows 8, 9 or whatever then a clean install is a good idea.

3. If you feel you need to do a clean install then go ahead. I don't really have experience with Easy Transfer though and like I said, I just redo all program settings manually. Sorry I couldn't help more.

5. WYC999

WYC999 Registered Member

Hi WSFuser,

they idea with cloning the disk without the drivers sounds tempting. But how clean is that? It sounds to me that you have some kind of "automated running an in image in an VM". Maybe i'm wrong about that, but i don't know how well performance is or what else problems i have to expect..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.