Easy File Locker 2.1 released

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Buddel, May 8, 2016.

1. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Info: http://www.xoslab.com/efl.html

Download (32-bit and 64-bit): http://www.xoslab.com/download.html

A changelog has not been published yet (at least I couldn't find one).

PS: I didn't know where to post it. If there is a more appropriate forum for it, please feel free to move it there.

PPS: I'm wondering if this software can be bypassed by ransomware. It probably can, but maybe its protection is a bit stronger than the security options of good ol' Secure Folders, which is "abandonware" now.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Interresting but a bit funny and tricky:
    - you are protected if the boxes are empty...if they are enabled you have right to do what you want with the files
    - deffault settings below on screnshot..."visible" is disabled so the file/folder is not visible in explorer/file manager

160508183542_2.jpg

- if the file/folders are not accessible but only visible you get pop-up that the file/folder is not found...even if in fact you can see them
    - if you want to see what is inside the folder you should enabled "Accessible" - then you can copy files but not move/delete.

EFL has strange connections with Shadow Defender which is mentioned and linked in app's page
    http://www.xoslab.com/index.html
    and even more if you push in top menu "Advanced/Protect My OS" you are redirected to SD official page.
    Next...I found some information that I think it can be surprising and strange - look at two pages linked below (Reason Labs file info)...you can see that EFL and SD have the same info called "Files Details - Star SoftComm (China) Ltd". Does it means that both apps are developed by the same company...EFL is the app made by Tony?
    https://www.reasoncoresecurity.com/xlkfs.sys-cf8f4d18e57c05330fb3a4ad6f419c4aefc51a0c.aspx
    https://www.reasoncoresecurity.com/diskpt.sys-84bec6279b70fa5fc9cc9c7ef9abc869d0e0513c.aspx

3. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I'm also wondering about this Chinese connection. Right-clicking the exe file reveals "Yang Ping" as the name of signature. Hm... maybe I should look for an alternative (but I just cannot find one that I like and which is similar to Secure Folders).

4. guest

guest Guest

"Chinese connection":
    The files from Easy File Locker and Shadow Defender are digitally signed from the same developer.
    Even the serial number of the certificate is the same.

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

OK...the same signers...the same also for CCleaner...but
    - the file diskpt.sys (file from SD) is listed the first on "related files"
    - only SD is the second app mentioned by Xoslab on its own page
    - from EFL you get only SD's page not the another app
    I don't want to search "miracles" in those connections...I'm asking because that fact is wondering for me.

6. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

7. kakaka

kakaka Registered Member

A suggestion:

If trusted applications can be set per file or folder, then it is perfect.

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Hi is Patr
    His nick is Patrick but "yes" - he has contact with Tony (SD author) :)

9. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Ichito, In pm you mention details.
    Do you want to know if Easy File Locker is developed by Tony?
    I can confirm that it is.
    I have discussed it recently with him.

Buddel, No I am not Tony :)
    Tony hardly every posts because English is not his primary language.
    If you list your questions then I will send them to Tony and post here if/when I get a reply.

Patrick=sdmod= Shadow Defender Global moderator in Tony's original Shadow Defender Forum and later Admin and owner of 'The Official Shadow Defender Forum' which is now closed.

10. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

At the moment I am working with some other choices (just installed 3 - Easy File Locker, GiliSoft File Lock Pro, GiliSoft EXE Lock).

XOSLAB Easy File Locker - does not allow additions from Windows directory <--- deal-breaker for vulnerable apps/locations
    GILISOFT File Lock Pro - has an Exclude List feature, but this revolves around excluding files and locations from locking <--- cannot add trusted apps to bypass locks
    GILISOFT EXE Lock - allows additions from Windows directory; this app just locks EXEs <--- no special considerations like trusted apps, can only add files, not folders

Here is what is shown when GiliSoft EXE Lock kicks in after trying to run a locked executable...
    example.jpg

11. ichito

ichito Registered Member

OK...thanks Patrick for info :thumb:

12. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Thanks for your kind offer. I'm simply looking for an alternative to Secure Folders.
    More info here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...ct-folders-and-use-as-anti-executable.369503/

Secure Folders is great, it has all the features I want, but this program is no longer kept up to date; it's been abandoned for some time. Maybe Easy File Locker can be sort of hardened with additional features, so that it can be used as an additional layer of security when it comes to the protection from so-called ransomware. Easy File Locker is great, but I'm still missing some useful features to make it even better.:)

13. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

It would be great if Tony could add some features similar to SF

14. sdmod

I've sent Tony (Developer of Easy File Locker) the url for this thread so he can read it

Patrick

15. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Would be so wonderful to have this program, same SD quality, with new powerful features like those requested above! :thumb:

Thanks @sdmod

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I couldn't agree more. Would love to see it.

17. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I would also love to see it. Thank you very much for your help, sdmod, which is very much appreciated here.:thumb::thumb:

18. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Does it have a rightclick encrypt function?

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

+1.
    Trusted applications per folder/file.
    Ability to lock whole drive also.
    Hash check of trusted application?

20. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Works wonders for Temp directories if they are on non-system partitions. Not even Explorer can access it, unless it is entered in the Exceptions section.
    Untitled.jpg
    EDIT: Does EFL have an ini file somewhere, with directories and exception apps listed?

21. sdmod

Reply from Tony ( Easy File Locker developer)

support
    2:39 AM

To: Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback.

Q: "I'm wondering if this software can be bypassed by ransomware."

A: EFL uses file system filter driver to filter the application operations, it doesn't change the protected files and folders self. It can be bypassed if ransomeware read/write the disk data directly.

Q: "XOSLAB Easy File Locker - does not allow additions from Windows directory <--- deal-breaker for vulnerable apps/locations"

A: If Windows directory is not accessible, system will not work. that is why EFL doesn't allow user to operate windows directory.

Q: "If trusted applications can be set per file or folder, then it is perfect."

A: I've been thinking about this feature. But if trusted applications can be set per file or folder, the rules will be very complex, I haven't found a reasonable way to implement yet.

Best regards,
    Tony

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

But EFL could be enhanced to protect direct read/write to disk?

23. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

So based on Tony's answer EL isn't as good at protecting against Ransomware as SD?

24. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

And it could probably also be enhanced to protect against ransomware, couldn't it?:geek:

25. sdmod

Re: RE: re Easy File Locker 10 May 2016?
    Re: RE: re Easy File Locker 10 May 2016

support
    1:50 AM

To: Patrick
    Hi Patrick,

Easy File Locker can't protect against Ransomware from reading disk directly. Sorry for it.

Best regards,
    Tony

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.