Easy alternative encryption

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Admittedly I have not yet tried PGP, but have been using ccrypt (in the repos.)
    for some time to encrypt some folders/files.
    It is very easy to use. It overwrites the original files - there is no copy of the
    originals, but then one would have surely backed them up to DVD etc. (Apparently a feature to create a temorary file has been added).
    Encrypted files have the .cpt extension. Encryption is supposed to be strong,
    certainly good enough for my use. "Ccrypt uses strong 256-bit encryption which is currently considered to be unbreakable.
    Technically speaking, ccrypt uses the Rijndael block cipher. Rijndael was also chosen for the "Advanced Encryption Standard" (AES)
    by the U.S. government" See the website FAQ for all the details:- http://ccrypt.sourceforge.net/faq.html

I have made a little animated gif to illustrate. No problems experienced after
    many encrypt/decrypt cycles.

Attached Files:

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

nice, i sometimes use vim to encrypt files like this -

vim -x file.txt

it asks for an encryption key before you start and you carry on as normal. to reopen it you run the same command, below, and it asks for the encryption key you made -
    vim -x file.txt

i've used this script too in the past, you can use it with your file manager, in the right-click menu - right-click a file and select encrypt.
    http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/nautilus-scripts/File Processing/Misc/encryption

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ocky, another great idea! You need to put that enthusiasm to wider use :)
    You gave me another topic for a tutorial ...

P.S. Enable PMs ...

Mrk

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  4. box750

box750 Registered Member

It seems like a nice program and I may even give it a go in the future, I like the fact that it supports so many platforms. But I will stick to GnuPG for now, this is still my favourite encryption software.

BTW: Cool animation, thanks for that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.