Easiest install ever?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by meneer, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Installing linux is becoming easier every month. Even noobs like me (okay, not quite ;), but I'm no expert) can now safely install a stable and secure operating system.
    My latest find is Arklinux. The installation is easier than your regular windows, it's faster and more entertaining: you play tetris while the installer is doing it's job.

Insert a bootable cd
    Screen 1:
    - choose language
    - choose country
    - choose keyboard type
    Screen 2:
    - select installation mode (full disk in my case)
    Screen 3:
    - play tetris

And you're done, your desktop system (with OpenOffice and all) is ready to serve.

Next I inserted the extra applications cd (not needed, only for checking what's available) and extra languages cd (just for the dutch language OpenOffice resources), both are supported bij all automatic install scripts (select and go).

Arklinux is a red hat based linux, but with the big advantage of an APT-installer front end, so no 'rpm-hell' (yes, that's just like 'dll-hell' for all Windows users :p

Hardware detection was fine on my system, a collegue experienced a small problem, bad luck for him... but since the current release is an Alpha release, it will get better soon.
    Hmmm, this alpha is more stable than most commercial versions :D)

-edited url-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.