easeUS todo backup free

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Powell41, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Powell41

Powell41 Registered Member

Hello Folks:

Im all brand new and shiny to your site and I have a question regarding the referenced title.

I need some guidance on which of the backup options is appropriate for my situation. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and have the installation disk so getting up and running is not a problem. However, I have a number of applications (MS Office 2010, Adobe Acrobat Pro, AVG Anti Virus, AVG PC Tuneup, etc.) for which I have links stored on disk. When I reinstall these applications I have to go through the re-registration process. I am told the easeUs software will provide a backup for all these applications that will return my system to the state it was in after a reinstall of the O/S.
    My question is: what option should I use to achieve a complete backup of everything except the Windows O/S and save the backup to a disk?

Regards
    Powell Lucas

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Yes, Todo Backup should work, so Macrium Reflect Free, DriveSnapshot, etc.

3. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Powell :)

Welcome to Wilders.

It sounds to me, if I am understanding you clearly, you are going to be re-installing the OS? If so, then creating a backup of file/folder is what you may find will work for you. If you would create an image of the current windows partition, that would also work if you are simply wanting to backup your data/links, etc., that you mention. Otherwise, if you create an image of your current partition of windows, and after you reinstall windows you restore that image, you will revert your computer back to the way it was at the time of the image.

So this would be counter productive in regards to reinstalling windows. Typically, an imaging program would be utilized to create a partition or disk image in order to avoid having to reinstall windows. So be careful of how you proceed. If your data/links you have saved are within the OS partition, you could create a partition image, as long as you realize when you restore, you only want to restore certain files/folders AFTER you reinstall windows. Also keep in mind, doing so you will still likely have to reinstall the applications you speak of.

If you want to simply save certain data, depending upon where it is stored, backing up just the files/folders that contain that data where it is stored should be sufficient. Then upon OS re-installation, restore just the data you need. Typically, upon reinstalling windows, you will have to reinstall also your applications mentioned in order for them to operate properly, with proper registry data, licensing, etc.

It depends upon what your goal is, and from what you stated, an OS reinstall will require the mentioned programs to be reinstalled, while you can then access the links/data you mentioned from your backup to re-register the software.

You may have misunderstood the purpose of Easeus todo or any imaging program, as what you stated you want to do is only accomplished by creating an image of your current partition, then in case of problems, you would normally just restore that image back to have your system back as it was to the time the image was created. In your case, planning on reinstalling the OS will require reinstalling those programs you mentioned in order to have them work properly.

I hope I have followed you correctly and that this helps in some way. :)

Jim

4. Powell41

Hi Jim:
    Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated. Perhaps I have misinterpreted just what this application will backup. Please allow me to explain.

I have absolutely no patience in tracking down problems with the Windows 7 O/S. When I start to get anomalies in the system that I can't repair I query the Windows 7 Forums. These folks are great at providing solutions to problems. However, if they have not come up with a satisfactory solution within 24 hours I uninstall and reinstall the O/S. I can be back up and running with all essential services installed within three hours including the horrendous amount of time it takes for all the updates to download and install. I have my Documents, Photos, e-mail contacts, favourites, and links to additional applications stored on disks that I update before removing the O/S. In addition, I reinstall my O/S twice yearly simply because I am very careful that my AV software has not missed some new virus that may co-opt my system to send out spam or viruses.

Following my last O/S installation I attempted to reinstall my MS Office program. The program would not install because, according to Microsoft, I had exceeded the limit on reinstallations. Now, this was in violation of my purchase agreement which clearly states that so long as I only installed the program on one computer I could reinstall the program as often as I wished. It took me nearly 29 hours of fighting with these guys and a threat of legal action on the basis of Denial of Service Breach of Contract to get them to provide me with a new copy of the program as well as a new activation key. Please understand that this was not a problem with activation; the program would not install.

Following this aggravating waste of my time I went on a web search to see if anyone else had encountered this proble, and among my replies were several that suggested I aquire software that would allow me to reinstall all my apps to their exact condition prior to my reinstallation of the O/S thus negating the need to go through the activation process.

It appears that my assumptions were incorrect. From what I gather from your information, EaseUS todo backup is simply what its name suggests...a file backup system that will permit me to reload all my apps in one batch rather than individually. I will still be required to activate each application as I use it. If this is the case then it really offers no advantage to me since each and every application gets an AV scan before it is reinstalled on my system and many of them seem to have a problem in recognizing their activation codes.

If my interpretation as to the functioning of this spftware is correct, please let me know. Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Best Regards
    Powell Lucas

5. Jim1cor13

Hi Powell :)

Thank you for helping me to better understand your goals.

The best way to avoid the reinstall issues is indeed to create an image of your windows partition, this way you can revert back to the image and restore your system to the state it was in at the time of image creation.

I recommend *if* your current windows installation is stable along with your applications, you can create a partition image of your current setup. It is best to store this or any image on an external hard drive. This image can be used to restore your system back to the same state at the time the image was created.

If you are in the process of actually reinstalling windows, then I suggest getting your windows setup as you like it, but without installing any of your applications yet. Once you have it setup as you would before you installed any applications, take an image of this fresh install. Now you will have a clean windows install image that you can restore to at any time instead of going through the install process.

Next after creating this image, THEN you can proceed to update your windows installation, setup your applications, register/activate them, confirm your system is stable and works properly, then take an image of your newly complete setup, windows updated, applications installed and setup as you like them. Now is where you have an image of your system that in the case of failure or problems, you can restore to this image and within 30 minutes or less typically, you have your fully set up system back up and running.

One thing I might add: I would test Easeus out first, before you go through all the steps. Simply create an image of your system now, and then go through the restore process...making sure 1) it will work for you reliably, and 2) after booting back into the system, take notice of any apps that may ask for re-activation or requesting to re-register. Sometimes this can happen after a restore using Easeus as I have read, and an often offender is Adobe applications. In any case, you want to KNOW that Todo backup will work for you and meet your goals.

Then you can proceed to creating an image to have as a complete restore if needed, without the hassles. :)

I hope this helps Powell, and if I have missed something, please do not hesitate to ask.

Jim

6. Powell41

Thanks for the reply OldMX.

The more I dig into this the more it seems that this type of backup is not what I'm looking for.

Yes, I am aware that the software is licensenced. However, that was not the issue. I have a purchase agreement that states that as long as I install this software on only one computer I am entitled to unlimited downloads. This software has only ever been installed on one computer, so I had not violated the terms of the sales contract. Therefore the problem is that Microsoft was in violation of their sales agreement, not their licensing agreement. If they did not wish to live up to the terms of that sales contract all they had to do was refund my purchase price.
    These software providers are always trying to pull some stunt to pry more money out of the end users, and most people roll over for them. I had a somewhat similar situation with Dell when one of their agents placed an advertising app on my computer that activated every time I logged off the internet. When I complained that I considered this to be a virus, their legal department pointed out that I only leased the software. I explained that I had no issue with it being installed on my computer and they could leave it there. However, I also pointed out that my monitor was not leased and that when they placed something on my screen that I considered as an intrusion on my privacy the offending garbage was gone within 24 hours. They may own the software, but they don't own me.

Thanks again for the reply.

Best Regards
    Powell Lucas

7. Powell41

Thank you very much Jim. I think you have answered my questions more than satisfactorily. I'll give it a try. Once again, it is very much appreciated.

Best Regards
    Powell Lucas

8. Jim1cor13

You are welcome sir. I hope it works for you. :)

Jim

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.