EaseUS Todo Backup 5.0 Released!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ams963, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

http://www.todo-backup.com/home/home-backup.htm

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Thank you Amit :) I tried Easeus at version 3.0. It worked, but after testing a restore, system did not appear stable and their were some minor errors, so it did not last long on my system.

Their rapid release of major versions is somewhat a gimmick and I think they charge more for each 'upgrade' which I personally think is a bit overdone.

I actually liked their interface, etc., but that means little when it simply did a messy job on restore, at least for me. But that was last year I tried it, it may or may not have improved. Just my two cents.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You're welcome Jim. Yeah Todo backup has become crap after the wonderful version 2.5 :thumbd:

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I second that, version 2.5 is excellent !

5. Jim1cor13

Is it even possible to get 2.5? I have heard others mention that at one time, it actually was very reliable, i.e., versions prior to 3.0 I remember one fellow on their forum wrote them quite often, lamenting how bad their new versions were compared to 1.1 LOL Could be true, I just never tried it until version 3.0 and restore was messy and unstable.

Thanks for the input Amit and Merle :) I am going to go looking just for kicks to see if 2.5 is available anywhere, perhaps filehippo.

I think their mistake was not only too frequent and untested releases, but they are adding features without proper stability testing, and over time,
    the issues just grow with each new release. Too many companies get caught up in that, racing to support something new, while not fixing current issues. A backup application such as this is too important to just be pumping out unstable versions while trying to throw in the kitchen sink LOL

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  6. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

7. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Even v2.5 is crap too. It completely destroyed my system and I had to format my system.

Best regards,

8. Jim1cor13

Thank you Peter :) Good find. It appears the earliest version available is 2.5 and that was liked by many. 2.0 is not found anywhere that I could see.

@aladdin: I have heard of this problem by others on their forum awhile back...as a backup solution it would appear it simply is not trustworthy, and with each new version, it does not appear to improve, yet they charge for the major version upgrades which to me is overkill and not in the best interests of their users.

Thanks guys, as for me, Terabyte is far ahead in many ways, although there are excellent solutions out there, both free and paid, the most flexible in my experience has been Terabyte products because they cover such a broad spectrum of disk/partition work, although sometimes I get stumped at the depth of their ability, it does take time and constant learning to utilize all the various features. In regards to Easeus, I do hope they one day arrive at a solid competitive product, but their business model, at least to me, is flawed.

9. aladdin

Dear Jim1cor13,

TeraByte is the best. And, one of the other best is Macrium Reflect. Their paid version is a bit expensive but you don't have to pay for the yearly updates. If you are not into incremental/differential imaging, then their FREE version is as excellent as the PAID version. It is nice to have two different imaging programs, just in case.

Here is the link for the FREE version of Macrium Reflect:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

With WAIK, you can easily build the WinPE, just like you build the WinPE with WAIK for TeraByte.

Best regards,

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  10. Jim1cor13

Thank you aladdin :) I do have Macrium free, version 4 that I had used for almost 2 years. It never failed the many times I used it. I now mainly use Terabyte IFL for cold imaging, etc. it is quick and so many features and management utilities. I will sometimes create a hot image with Macrium, then do a cold image with IFL, just to have both available, but since I bought the whole suite of TBU products in Feb. this year, I use mainly BIBM and IFL :)

Appreciate your thoughts and comments :)

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi,
    Ive just installed macrium reflect(free version.).ive created an image.I have one question though,when i created the bootable cd i chose the linux option for restoring the image.Was i correct in doing this.The other option required a 1.7gb download.:eek: .i did not like the idea of that.
    Regards.:thumb: :ninja:

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yup if you want a windows disc you need to do that huge download. not so with ifw you can use winre instead of winpe super easy once setup and the only download needed it super tiny.

13. The Red Moon

Do i absolutely need the windows disc to perform a restore?:doubt:
    I chose the linux option.will i still be able to restore the image or have i created an image for nothing.?:eek: :ninja:

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

First try to restore the image through the linux disc you have created. I had created a linux cd but it would not support my hardware. I could not restore the image.

By the way, you could always restore the image from within the Windows. In case of disaster when Windows would not boot, bootable discs come in handy. Linux cds need to be compatible with hardware. WinPE discs are the most reliable and flexible. Remember you can only restore an image using linux cd but you can both take an image and restore it using a WinPE cd.

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed try the linux disc first but i usually find it doesnt work very well many times.

16. The Red Moon

thats bad news if users are forced to download a 1.7gb program to restore..awful state of affairs.:thumbd: :ninja:

17. aladdin

Dear Beethoven,

Your other option is to buy a paid imaging programs which gives you the WinPE. Terabyte (IFW) doesn't, but Macrium and others do. Microsoft charges a royalty fee to the makers of imaging programs for each WinPE they give away. I believe it is about $20.

However, if you download the 1.7GB, the WAIK (mini Windows 7) from Microsoft site, you can build your own WinPE for free with the plugins supplied by the makers of the imaging programs.

Best regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.