EaseUs To Do Home queries

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by djg05, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have been trialling EaseUs Home. It works quite well for me but it continually wants to connect to the internet. I contacted them and they said it was to check the activation.

If I block it the program will not run.

Does anyone have any opinion this, or this just paranoia?

Thanks

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi David :)

Since you are using the trial version and have not actually activated the program, I will assume that if you decide to purchase it, the activation check will stop once it is activated with a license code, or at least I would hope so.

Unfortunately, it is quite common that software utilizes online activation and some software must check that daily, but some will stop once it is actually activated. I am not sure about how Easeus handles this.

My concern in regards to your description is what happens if you are off line and the software is such that it must check product code daily, even after activation, would it actually function properly or stop working?

I would certainly get a clear answer from Easeus about this. It would make little sense to have that kind of restriction for a backup program if it indeed will not run if it cannot connect to their servers. The concern with any software that must have online connectivity even after it is properly activated, and that auto checks the license validity, is what happens if there is no connection?...or the internet is down?

If it is not usable, I would find another solution, that will in fact do its advertised job aside from internet connectivity and/or phoning home as so much software does now. If you like the program, ask Easeus if this behavior continues even after it is purchased and activated. If so, you may want to look elsewhere.

Hope that helps. :)

Jim

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Have you tried to look at the communications with the mothership? Using Wireshark for example, and at least initially to see what protocols are used? Maybe it is bare minimum and benign. Maybe the product phones home information about your platform/usage. Maybe the trial version does that more than a non-trial/registered version.

I don't use it can't shed more light on it. FWIW though, when unsure I've found it easier just to ask the manufacturer straight-up if the product is offline friendly (can be used on a machine that will never have an Internet connection). Which is, or at least was in those cases, a simple yes/no question.

4. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Agree with the above – I use the 'free' version of Easeus Todo Backup Home – I have never allowed it to connect to the net (in fact I don't see any setting to allow it to do so)

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

As I said, I had contacted EaseUs and this is their reply

In a earlier message they did say it was designed to work on a stand alone machine. In fact it will run if I physically disconnect from the network but it has to be allowed through the firewall even though it is disconnected.

I will have a look at Wireshark but no sure if it will mean anything to me.

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Perhaps it uses/requires localhost communications and your firewall rules are blocking not just remote communications but localhost as well? Have you tried a "allow localhost then block all/rest" application rule which will just block everything that isn't localhost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.