Ease of use:Altiris, Virtualbox or ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Banshee, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Which of the many virtualization solutions do you think is the easiest to use ?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I find VMware Server / VirtualBox to be equally easy. I prefer VMware - better stability overall. MS VirtuaPC lacks in overall performance. Altiris is ok, a bit cumbersome.
    Mrk

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Banshee,

I use both Altiris and VirtualBox.

I use Altiris when I want to test software within my existing system and the software doesn't require a reboot to complete installation. I don't find it cumbersome at all, it's very easy to use, effective, and I'm surprised more people don't use it.

I use VirtualBox for all other testing (i.e., software that requires a reboot, software that I don't know if it's safe to use, etc.).

Try them, they're both free.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Altiris seems kinda like Returnil,PowerShadow and SD,isn't it ? Or can u tell the difference with these ?

thanks, Huub.

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I just gave VirtualBox a go, what a pig, really ran my test box into the ground. Could hardly do anything else with it running, and the application responded very sluggish with an OS installed, so working with it was not very good.

VMware still seems like the best.

Never used Altiris, but I get the feeling this is a company or product bought out by Symantec, I never use anything Symantec... :thumbd:

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have used Altiris before and it was kind of cool to test software without the hassle of uninstalling them if you dont like them, just delete the app in the Altiris window and it´s gone.

Altiris is not like those you mention, it is more like Bufferzone or Defensewall but without the security. Altiris is not a security solution like BZ or DW.

But they do seem to have another product called Altiris Protect:
    I cant find it on their site though, but it sounds interesting.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Thanks Sukarof,that clears things up.

Sad that the are devoured by this big shot [symantic] !?!

8. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Thanks all. I am using Altiris now.I find it easy to use.:thumb:

Will test virtualbox next !

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Actually I apologize my specs on a test box I was using was only 2.0ghz and 512MB RAM, so I'm sure 1GB would of been better.

From what I've seen and read VirtualBox seems like a tough one to beat for free, but I don't think anything can beat VMware.

10. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

i like virtualbox, its fast very fast, easy, free and doesnt install so many services like others. it uses a very usefull shared folder feature. it can open vmware machines. install folder is 32mb big :D

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you have the horsepower, VMware Workstation is awesome. Fire up the full screen dual monitors and you couldn't tell you were on a virtual machine.

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I have VMware Workstation for my box and it runs great, but I hate all the services running at startup. I had to do a reinstall so I formatted out the drive, and I don't have VMware installed at the moment, but I figured you could always put all the services on manual so they only run when starting VMware, at least I hope so, or you just start them when you start VMware...

13. Peter2150

I just let them start at boot. On the machine I am running on it's not an issue. 4gb ram

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I have 1GB, I'm sure not an issue, more an issue of geek pride, no need to have a hog running when it's not needed, sorta my Unix/Linux mentality, lean and mean, LOL...

15. Peter2150

Not geek pride. I have a 1gb XP vm machine, and a 1.5gb vista VM machine.

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Maybe a batch file could be the answer.

17. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You might not need any of these services, but it depends on how you use your VMs. I have all VMware services disabled for good, as I do not use VM NAT (I have VM NIC in bridge mode), I do not mount virtual volumes and I do not use VMware agent (I never run multiple VMs at the same time). So it is possible to run VMware with all its services disabled with no side-effects.

18. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I really like VMware workstation. Sadly it's too expensive for me. So I'm using VirtualBox.

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

THANKS, I haven't installed it yet, but when I do I'll disable them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.