Earthlink Protection Control Center new version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by notsupplied_31, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notsupplied_31

notsupplied_31 Registered Member

I just updated to the new version of Earthlink PCC and, after configuring it to work on Windows XP Media Center 2004 SP3, I think it is an improvement over the previous version. The software vendor is Kaspersky now instead of Aluria Software. There is now an intrusion detection and email scanning feature as well as monitoring of TLS connections. For example, I tried to run Secunia PSI but it blocked it until I disabled the check for the connection to Secunia's server. There is also a 64-bit version for Windows XP Pro 64-bit and Vista but I have not tried it since I don't have a 64-bit system. Earthlink subscribers are being allowed up to three "commercial" licenses as a free benefit. I have never tried Kaspersky products before but as I said already I am favorably impressed at least so far.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If you are getting a Kaspersky product instead of the Aluria that I had used in the past, you are definitely getting an improvement! :thumb:

3. notsupplied_31

notsupplied_31 Registered Member

Speaking of Aluria, a few years ago I installed a trial version of their anti-spyware product but I did not like it very much. I am a little unsure about how to configure the PCC email scanner since I always understood that outgoing email scanning was incompatible with Earthlink email servers. I just disabled scanning of port 25 (smtp server).
    http://free.avg.com/faq.num-680#faq_680
    I also notice that now Earthlink/Kaspersky explicitly says that up to three licenses are included whereas previously there was no limitation on the number of copies of PCC that an Earthlink subscriber could install. I always had only one copy installed anyway so it makes no practical difference for me.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.