eamonm.sys BSOD on Vista with EAV 4.2

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by xMarkx, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I got the BSOD which pointed to eamonm.sys on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32-bit) when I was restarting the computer for the install of "Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2286198 )." The update did not successfully install according to windows update install history. I am using the latest version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.2.58.3.

There was a conflict between this update and Windows 7 which resulted in the BSOD but it was supposed to be fixed with Virus Signature Database update 5338. I am on update 5349 and I still got the BSOD.

However, I did find a way to install the update successfully without a BSOD (below). If you haven't installed the update yet, skip step 1.

SOLUTION:
    1. Do a system restore to the time before the update was installed. You can do this by:
    - Press "Start"
    - Type "system restore" into the search
    - Click on System Restore and wait a few seconds for it to load. Confirm with User Account Control if you have that enabled.
    - Select the appropriate restore point. If you're doing this right after you got the BSOD, it is probably the recommended one so just press 'next' and then 'finish'.

2. Temporarily disable antivirus and antispyware protection. You can do this by:
    - Double clicking on the ESET NOD32 Antivirus tray icon
    - Clicking "Setup"
    - Clicking "Temporarily disable Antivirus and antispyware protection"
    - Clicking "Yes" to confirm (only if asked)

3. Install the update again (KB2286198 ) and restart the computer. You will not get the BSOD and antivirus and antispyware protection will reenable itself upon restart.

Hope this helps those who have this issue!

Regards,

Mark

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. jshessel

jshessel Registered Member

Hi.

Just wanted to post that I've also run into the same situation and discovered that disabling Nod32 before install and reboot of Windows Vista 32 updates avoids the aemonm.sys BSOD error.

Because of instabilities in my system a month ago, I reinstalled VISA using the restore feature on my Asus, installing NOD32 v 4.2 as soon as I had a clean install. Much to my chagrin, much of my re-installation experience involved MANY BSODs as a result of Nod32, and it wasn't until I reinstalled the 2nd time that I realized that it was a result of the AV software.

If I forget to turn off Nod32 before an update installation, I always get a BSOD.

I've been a subscriber to Nod32 for 4 years now, and have had all of my clients move to Eset's products for their security needs. This is the absolute first time I've ever seen a defect in anything Eset's done and I hope there will be a prompt fix for this issue.

My vitals:

Eset Product: Eset Nod32 Antivirus version 4.2.58.3
    Virus signature database: 5353 (20100809)
    Update module: 1031 (20091029)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1284 (20100729 )
    Advanced heuristics module: 1110 ( 20100808 )
    Archive support module: 1119 ( 20100806 )
    Cleaner module: 1048 ( 20091123 )
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1019 ( 20100525 )
    SysInspector module: 1216 ( 20100517 )
    Self-defense support module : 1016 ( 20100404 )
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 ( 20100727 )

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Sorry to here about your problems. I've only received the BSOD for the one update that was supposed to be fixed with 5338; I hope I don't get stop errors for other updates. Do the stop errors still occor with v3 for you? Have you contacted ESET directly about this issue and what did they say?

Regards,

Mark

4. jshessel

jshessel Registered Member

Hi Mark,

I received a BSOD on the most recent Windows Update was 80242014 a few days ago.

I received no stop errors with version 3 at all, and it behaved exactly as expected.

No. I have not contacted Eset directly. I was under the impression this might be the best place to contact their dev and support team.

5. dick w

dick w Registered Member

I've had the eamonm.sys BSOD on each of the last two Patch Tuesdays. Very annoying.

No, I haven't opened a case. The last time I opened a case, re. broken Idle to Sleep on W7-64, we played support hoop jump for a week before they'd even concede that yes, they were aware of the problem and working it.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Already discussed here.

7. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Just wanted to give an update to my original thread.

Today I installed the 14 windows updates that were released yesterday for August's Patch Tuesday. I decided to keep ESET NOD32 Antivirus enabled to see if I would get the BSOD. As the computer was turning off so it could restart itself to finish the install of the updates, I got the BSOD. :(. No dump file was saved in the minidump folder this time for some reason (maybe because the BSOD occured during shut down, not boot up?). However, the stop error still pointed to eamonm.sys. The updates were all marked as 'pending'. Therefore, I did a system restore and then reinstalled the 14 updates with ESET disabled and everything was fine.

For now on, I will disable ESET before installing windows updates, but I would really like this issue solved. In Technoob's post regarding this issue, he said an unreleased 4.2.62.0 fixed the issue for him. Any word from ESET as to if this build fixes the issue and when it will be officially released?I will probably try contacting ESET Support directly on this issue.

I will post the info I can provide. I do have a copy of the minidump from the first BSOD, but I don't know who/where to upload it to.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.2.58.3 on Windows Vista SP2 Home Premium (32-bit)

Virus signature database: 5359 (20100811)
    Update module: 1031 (20091029)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1284 (20100729)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1110 (2010080:cool:
    Archive support module: 1119 (20100806)
    Cleaner module: 1048 (20091123)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1021 (20100811)
    SysInspector module: 1216 (20100517)
    Self-defense support module : 1016 (20100404)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 (20100727)

EDIT: I can't access ESET's Support page, but I can access the rest of the site (main page, downloads etc). I have no way of contacting ESET about my problem now!

Mark

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

As soon as the new version of ESET's software has concluded its test cycle it will be released. As you can imagine, ensuring that updated code works correctly in all circumstances is a high priority.

You should be able to open a support request with ESET by using the form at http://www.eset.com/support/contact or by telephone at +1 (866) 343-3738 (US and Canada).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.