EAMONM Errors in Event Viewer

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by GeoPappas, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoPappas

GeoPappas Registered Member

Greetings.

I installed ESS 4.2.x on my desktop Win 7 computer, but immediately started to received Blue Screens / BSODs / Bugchecks.

I then uninstalled ESS 4.2.x, but noticed that I have been receiving the following errors in my Event Viewer ever since the uninstall:

Event ID: 7000
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    General: The eamonm service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

The errors only show up upon startup of the system. So whenever I restart the system, the error will show up.

I did some research and found that EAMONM.SYS is an ESS 4.2 file. It seems that the file is removed by the uninstall, but the registry still has entries for it.

EAMONM is listed in the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EAMONM
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\eamonm
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EAMONM
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\services\eamonm
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_EAMONM
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\eamonm

How can I clean this up from my registry (so that the errors in the Event Viewer go away)?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. GeoPappas

I just ran the ESETUninstaller tool, but the problem still persists.

Is anyone else that has uninstalled ESET 4.2 getting these errors in their Event Viewer? All you need to do is filter on Event ID=7000 in the System logs to see if you have them.

4. Gosman

Gosman Registered Member

GeoPappas,

Try to run Eset Uninstaller in safe mode, with admin rights...Use registry cleaner and fix tool (ccleaner, vit registry fix), also check your PC for viruses with free antivirus scanner...

5. GeoPappas

Thanks for the reply.

Already tried it. It didn't remove the offending entries from the registry.

Yes, I understand that I can try a lot of other tools to fix the problem, but I was hoping that ESET would have an answer to the problem that they created. But it seems that they don't have an answer, nor do they care.

This issue has nothing to do with viruses. ESET 4.2 doesn't uninstall properly. It leaves behind entries in the registry for one of their services. This in turn throws errors in the Event Viewer.

6. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Registered Member

I just recently uninstalled ESS too and am now getting this. Even ran the uninstall tool in safe mode as instructed. HijiackThis detects the service (with the delete NT service option), but states it's not disabled so it cannot uninstall it. I do not know how to change startup states of services without the GUI but eamonm is not listed in the GUI so I cannot disable it.

Edit: Okay, found out how to remove it. Run the command sc config eamonm start= disabled then use HijackThis to delete the service. (config, misc tools, delete NT service) Should be gone afterward.

Another thing that's happening now is that when I logoff the user account I get a "please wait for the local session manager" message for a few seconds. That never happened before.

This is the reason I never wanted to install anti-virus software. Too problematic.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Registered Member

Apparently the ability to edit posts expires on this forum.

I resolved the logoff delay on accident by reinstalling my graphic drivers.

..Yeah, I have no clue how that was related in any way to uninstalling ESS. At least it's resolved, no matter how strange it was.

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

The ability to edit expires on any forum that values its posters :)
    Thank you for posting how your resolved the issue in your case.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

You can also use autoruns to remove the eamonm entry. Very goot tool to search for leftovers...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1702798&postcount=45

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.