E00070021: Cannot access drive.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tkchris, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkchris

tkchris Registered Member

Intermittent differential backup on partition D:. Get this error 95% of the time.

E00070021: Cannot access drive.
    Cannot create the image of the logical drive D: because it is currently in use by running applications or the logical drive contains bad sectors.

Have checked for bad sectors, and the disk is fine. So it must be something locking the partition.

How do I find out what is interfering?

Is there some way to use pre-op commands to make sure the D: drive is unencumbered for Acronis?

Also, is it habit with Acronis that they never respond to support submissions? This is the third issue I've tried to open with them and never get any response other than the automated acknowledgement:mad:

System: C: & D: on HDD device 0, Z: on HDD device 1 which is reserved strictly for storing Acronis backup data. C: works fine everytime all the time. D: only works occasionally. Running XP Home SP3 with all the latest.

See attached log from typical failure.

Thanks,

tim

Attached Files:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tkchris,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then please send a reply to the autoreply with Acronis request number which was sent to you. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. dsmart[3000ad]

dsmart[3000ad] Registered Member

I got this error this morning, so I decided to so some snooping around. Here is what I found.

The version of snapapi.dll located on my Vista Ultimate windows\system32 folder was v 3.1.0.329 with a date of 08-27-07. I assumed this was installed with my ATI10 Build 4942.

This was working all along, though I had seen the error every so often and rebooting seemed to fix it.

Following the link to the Acronis Drivers above, I downloaded that and compared it. That version happens to be 3.0.0.303 of 02-22-07.

I backed up the previous (newer) version and copied the older version and restarted my scheduled task back up. This time it worked just fine. Of course, now I have a bunch of snapapi log files in my drive root.

What gives? How come the older (seems to have logging enabled) version works but the new version which comes with the latest 4942 build, falls over so often?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dsmart[3000ad],

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the archive at the link above actually contains the 3.1.0.329 version of the drivers. Please notice that the error usually occurs when something interferes with Acronis drivers accessing the drives, so it's the reinstallation of the drivers that often fixes the problem.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. dsmart[3000ad]

Well, you guys must have recently updated that link because I still have the original download!!!

The version installed with ATI 10 is dated 08-27-07 and is 3.1.0.329. This version fails every now and then.

The version from the [latest] download link is dated 02-15-07 and is 3.1.0.329. This version seemed to work when the above version failed. I didn't have to re-install it. All I did was rename the previous version and restarted ATI.

What I want to know is why are the two versions the same number? Why the different sizes and dates? Obviously the previous version has debug logging turned on but it just generates these .log files in the drive C: root without ever deleting them.

Attached Files:

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Note that the February build is larger which is typical of a newer version in spite of the date and build number.

Looks like someone didn't bother correcting this text info when they created the new build.

7. dsmart[3000ad]

As a software developer myself, yes, I recognize that. Its not just the file size but also the fact that the version on their download link creates these log files. I just had to delete no less than twelve of them. And thats just from the past few days alone.

The version that comes with ATI 10, does not create these files.

8. dsmart[3000ad]

Since I have a dual-boot Vista Ultimate and XP Pro SP2 system, I ran a test.

First I uninstalled ATI 10,4942 from both partitions, deleted any/all folders & registry entries left behind.

Then I installed ATI 10 on the XP partition. Checked the snapapi.dll file and it was ver 3.0.0.303.

I then downloaded the updated driver from the ATI link, copied it to the system32 folder (after renaming the previous version), rebooted, restarted ATI 10.

The result was E000101F4 error when I tried to run a scheduled task.

I restored the original driver, restarted ATI and the problem went away.

I ran the same test on the Vista machine. However, it worked with both drivers.

There you have it. Go figure.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.