E TRUST av. v7 promo, how good is it?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zorrito, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

yep. the promo v7 is 15 mbs , that is the one that we have who are using promo free version.
    The 21 mb 30 day trial version I have not utilised , but maybe it comes with all the virus definitions upto date , ( only guessing here- massively)
    The v6 has only one engine . Its possibly now Vet , where as it use to be InoculateIT ( guessing massively here also from some thing that Calamity jane posted once.)
    Also just for abit of goss the EZ firewall now has the desktop protection incorporated into it , where as previously it was a separate entity .(this is virtually the same as Zonealarm with cookie control and add blocking and mobile code control . :)

2. solarpowered candle

Here is another interesting article from PC Magazine in Denmark which rates anti virus products for the corporate network placing e Trust at #1 http://www.my-etrust.com/PC%20world%20test1.pdf

3. Asbro

Asbro Guest

Once upon a time there was ..........
    I am just finished repairing a Win2k PC infected by virus with no Antivirus program installed.

At first I didn't know the problems was caused by virus so the original Win2k installation was altered by a System Repair from CD.

Next I tried with a demo of Avast4. It detected the VALLA virus but couldn't cure a single file. I tried to move some of the files but stopped the proces. -- I could not see anywhere where these files was moved from. -- This program was moved very quickly, not to be used on any of my PC´s again.

Then I tried a new retail version of Norton AV 2004. It comes with a nice manual and with a bootable CD.
    I first tried directly from the CD with the result that this PC has no viruses as it could not find my NTFS HDD.
    As this did not work out I tryed to install the program normally. Norton AV strictly demanded IExplorer v501 sp2, but by the original system repair the IExplorer was set back to version 5.0. I tried to install IExplorer v6.0, but caused by hevy virus infection this was not possible.
    (Why the "#¤*%" demand a browser, for what ? -- KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid !!!).

Then at last I found the link to the free CA ETrust AV promo program. I downloaded it and installed it right the way on 4 min. I downloaded and copied manually the signature files. After reboot the Realtime service poped up that it was infected by virus and sugested to run a Virus check.
    I started the eTrust AV program in standard InculanIt mode and it found and cured right the way 1054 infected files from total 59018 files on the disk:

1052 Win32/Valla
    1 lioten.Z.Worm
    1 IRCBot.Netd32.Trojan

185 Windows system files was strangly not cured fx:
    notepad.exe and cmd.exe
    A new Windows system repair from CD renewed the system files.

A new virus scan now in Vet mode found and repaired 1 last file.

The eTrust AV program, did the job, it even run on my Win2k server, and it is FREE too. I certanly like it.

4. JayK

JayK Poster

LOL, and I bet almost every "antivirus" in the world can detect those. Your problem is that you are too hung up on the distinction betweem worms/trojans/viruses. Many are combinations of all 3. And besides, I have never head an antivirus say "We don't do worms" :) ,

Worms/trojans/viruses, you bet if they are a threat every antivirus in the world will be able to detect them.

If you like surfing dubious sites for backdoor programs and cracks, then no, most antiviruses won't score well there.

To be clear Which vendor exactly are we talking about? :)

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Didn't it fail because of a false positive? (or was that a different month)

6. solarpowered candle

As appearances go , according to the" gospel of virus bulletin" it had a false positive in their testing .
    Its one great anti virus. If I had to trip down to the demons in 52nd ave and needed to trust in one application it would be kaspersky

Asbro thank you for sharing that post . And your experiences with e Trust promo.

7. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I also have the impression that KAVP is the best overall way to go. (Though I admit that opinion is just gathered "from what I've heard", as I don't actually come across much malware at all myself.) This is why KAVP is my current av util, even though it really bogs the system down sometimes. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.