E-Mail Notification

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by JeremyWW, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Hi,

Trying to get e-mail notification to work in EAV V.4, so that I pick up an e-mail if my wife or daughter 'catch anything'. No dice...doesn't work...any ideas?

It's POP3, requires SMTP authentication, so I have U.Name & P.Word filled in. Used Eicar to test - nothing.

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Are you running a SMTP gateway on your home network or are you using your ISP's or some other external gateway?

3. JeremyWW

External gateway...

4. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Grab a copy of Wireshark and install it on one of the systems that you want to generate alerts from and set it up to filter for TCP port 25 traffic, then trigger an alert with the Eicar file and watch the outbound traffic. You should be able to see the HELO handshaking and other basic authentication before the message is passed. If you see a couple connection retry attempts then something on the network is blocking you from getting to the SMTP gateway. If all the handshaking goes alright and the message is passed, then odds are someone's spam filter along the route is shooting you down.

Edit: If your SMTP gateway requires SMTP over SSL, then this isn't going to work.

5. JeremyWW

I didn't understand most of that, but it's not SSL...

6. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

You still didn't receive a mail? I was just fooling around before dinner and when I came back I got a mail with all blocked url's from the eicar test page which I visited. It doesn't seem to send a mail right away (after threat is found) but periodically.

Also, most SMTP server don't require authentication, are you sure its your SMTP server which requires UN/PW and not your POP3 server?
    Are you sure you have the right server configured?

7. JeremyWW

First of all - it now works - you're right, it's not immediate. My SMTP server does in fact require authentication - it's configured that way in Outlook and now in NOD32. All's well though...thanks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.