E Mail Mail Contacts

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by WilliamP, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I use Windows XP and Outlook Express for E Mail. Now here is my question. When I open OE to check my E Mail or send E Mail,can someone get to my E Mail contact list.

2. WilliamP

Is this a dumb question? I was told that it could be done,but I don't understand how.

3. jobeard

jobeard Registered Member

the files for OE are in a known location.

if your NTFS permissions on your %userprofile%\ location does not contain <everyone>, then other users can not get into it, but the Admin always can.

if you're running online with the Owner or Admin account, then you're in real trouble; even Javascript can access it.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

It is not a dumb question and I would answer it if I could. I assume that your contact list is in some operating system folder. There was a post here a while back about a guy who's wife gained access to his email passwords by accessing a Firefox folder that contained the passwords. So I would assume that email contacts may be stored as well.

That being said, I would never use Outlook Express. I use web based email services and I always use Sandboxie and Returnil so nothing is stored on my comp. It is such a simple measure with such profound results.

5. WilliamP

My E Mail is not web based. When I open OE my computer connects to the E Mail server with a user name and password. When OE is closed it is disconnected.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Maybe the contact list is stored with your ISP and is not on your comp.

I just has an idea. I don't know if OE has more than one folder. But I know that with AxCrypt, you can right click on a folder and encrypt all of the files in that folder at once. To decrypt them at once you just right click on the folder and enter the password. It just takes a second and you would not have to worry about whether there is or is not a copy of your contact list somewhere in there.

1.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.