Dynamic Disks and Universal Restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tpat, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpat

tpat Registered Member

I am testing out True Image Enterprise Server 9.1, and would like to restore an image taken from a machine with dynamic disks using the Universal Restore option. I know that the manual says this isn't possible, but maybe someone has come up with a work around? It's not a option to convert these disks to basic.

2. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

I never tested it but my BartPE CD can work with dynamic disks. Due to the fact that TrueImage Server can backup/restore dynamic disks from within windows it would be worse a try.

I use mustangs plug in and BartPE build with a Server 2003 and added support for dynamic disks.

Volker

3. bassplayer13

bassplayer13 Registered Member

Hi,

Can you expand on that a little bit?

I have a Windows 2003 Server that has dynamic disks that I have already created an image of. How do I bring that into a virtual environment replacing the drivers without using the Universal Restore optiono_O

Mike

4. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

mustangs plugin enables UR in PE. The cases are completely different. Tpat wants to use the UR and bassplayer13 not.

The possible solution for bassplayer would be:
    1. change the IDE - Drivers (even when the "real" system has SCSI) to Default MS-Drivers (I'm german, so I don't know the exact english name)
    2. Shutdown and boot PE
    3. Image
    4. Restore in a virtual machine (with IDE-Harddisks)
    5. Boot....(there should be no Stop 0x7b)

after the Boot there will be a hardware detection phase (no mouse - no keyboard). After a while mouse and keyboard start working....

The only difficulty is: you can't change the hal. If the real machine is a multiprocessor-ACPI system, your virtual machine should be multiprocessor too (vmware supports multiprocessor VM).

Volker

PM me for further questions....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.