Dynamic disk to basic

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by MrDerrick, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDerrick

MrDerrick Registered Member

I have a problem with my XP OS.
    I booted my system, opened my computer and find that one of my drives is missing. Going into Disk Management I see that the drive is offline status. I right click and try to reactivate it but get this error.
    INTERNAL ERROR: The disk group contains no valid configuration copies (C100000B6)

It is a single drive and is a simple partition, not RAIDed.

I've read here that you can successfully convert a dynamic disk to basic without losing data.
    Source: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-110511.html

Is this method confirmed?
    Cause when I right click to convert to basic partition there is a warning saying data will be lost.

I really need the data on the drive and can't afford to lose it.

Thanks

2. tombuur

tombuur Registered Member

I tried the the described method and it worked for me. In XP convert to basic disk, leave it there. Reboot and use DD10 to revive it.

Unfortunately I only converted one of my two dynamic disks, because I needed one for Acronis image (it will not use dynamic disk). Thinking dynamic sounded as something extra strong, I left the other one as dynamic. Now having upgraded to Vista I find that dynamic disks don't work in the Vista home versions. So right now I am reestablishing XP with Acronis True Image to convert the next disk too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.