dvd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brihy1, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

im using true image 11 home,can i backup my system to dvd and if so can it be compressed to fit on a dvd and how?thanks

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Just choose the dvd drive as the destination for the backup instead of another hard drive. If the Image needs more than one dvd, the process will even span across as many as are necessary. Be aware though this is a very slow process if the number of dvds needed are 3 or more. Plus you have to sit there and feed in the discs unlike with a hard drive.

3. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

ok thanks,i was going to ask if it couldnt fit on 1 dvd but you answered that to.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Use maximum compression by setting the optional parameters when you are creating the backup.

As a general rule, the backup is not less than one half the used space on the drive. However, this depends on the files stored on the drive. If there are lots of word processing documents and spread sheets, it may compress more. If there are a lot of photos or video files, these are already compressed, so the backup image will be larger.

In My Computer, right click on the drive you want to backup and select Properties. That will show you how much of the drive is used. If it is more than 8-9GB, it will probable take more than one DVD.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

The other way to write an image to DVDs would be to create an image set with the archive splitting size at 2 GB on a local hard disk drive and then to copy the created image archives to DVDs. In this case you will have to copy all the archives back to one folder to restore the image.

This workaround allows you to avoid the material losses in the case of corrupted backups or if one of the DVD disks in the chain is defective.

Please note that once a full image is created as one consistent file it instantly becomes indivisible and in case it exceeds the limit of 4.7 GB (the maximum capacity of a DVD disc) you will not be able to divide it into parts and burn to DVDs. So when creating an image you should bear in mind where you want to store the image to.

However I would recommend you to set the archive splitting size manually if you are planning to transfer an image archive to DVD discs. The archive size should be set at 2 GB to avoid possible discrepancies when being restored later. This proviso relates to most of the modern DVD-writing software.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.