DVD Flick - anyone with first hand knowledge?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by terminal velocity, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terminal velocity

terminal velocity Registered Member

As in the title, I'd appreciate information re. DVD Flick and whether or not I can install this program with confidence.

http://www.dvdflick.net/index.php

Basic checks support it as being a good and clean piece of kit with links to sourceforge. Feedback from members with first hand experience would be very welcome.

Thanks.

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I cant get on the website, what kind of a program is it?

3. terminal velocity

Hi GES/POR

The link is running fine now and the site accessible... this software converts various video formats to DVD. It works fine on my test box, the source code is available, not that it means anything to me. It's really beyond paranoia given the evidence to think it may possibly harbour anything malicious and I'm 99.99% confident that it is sound.

That said, it takes 100% confidence to achieve trusted status on my primary box, and it is one of those software types that is attractive to folks who traffic malware.

I'm just looking for that last piece of confirmation from a user with experience of this software, that it is as trustworthy as everything suggests.

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

check the afterdawn forums, there are many users there that highly recommend it. I've used it before but it won't turn my widescreen 16:9 videos into a 4:3 DVD which is what I like to do. Other than that major (or minor) problem it works well in converting many different files into a DVD.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/

5. terminal velocity

Many thanks jonyjoe81 :cool:

6. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I've tested all these things and this in my opinion is one of the worst. Menu support is poor and its uses ffmpeg rather than something like HCEnc. Looking at the forums it appears to have had a fair few bugs (no idea if they've been corrected). Check out AVStoDVD for an excellent alternative (http://avstodvd.googlepages.com/home)

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I test drove DVD Flick 2 or 3 months ago. It works but my recollection is that it's not very intuitive...

8. terminal velocity

Thanks for the adds, much appreciated.:thumb:

9. norky

norky Registered Member

10. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I don't think Handbrake does DVD menus does it? Does it even convert videos to DVD structures?

11. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I like Nero's menu editor, it allows creating custom menus with your own buttons and texts and linking them like a WYSIWYG html editor.

12. norky

norky Registered Member

I've just really started using it, you may be right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.