DVD decoder

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xxx, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxx

xxx Guest

I am looking for a Freeware DVD Decoder so that I can play DVDs on my PC. I have searched CNET and found some. However, they carry the warning about adware and spyware. Question: Do any of you know of a DVD decoder which does not have adware or spyware and is free, or are DVD decoders all commercial software packages? Thanks is advance for any help.

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I'm assuming that by decoder, you mean programs which copy the DVD and create a video on your pc, which you then do not require the disk to watch, which is most likely breaking copyright laws. If on the other hand, you just mean DVD playing software, then that is another case.

Jimbob

3. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Jimbob,

Thanks for your reply. You second assumption is correct. If I put a DVD into my PC I am given a choice of which player to use. The players I have need the DVD decoder so that they can play the DVD. I am looking to play it with the players that I have. However, if it is necessary for me to download another DVD player that has the decoder included, I would be interested to know which player. It may even be a better player than the standard ones I have already. Nevertheless, we return to my original preference of no adware/spyware and if possible freeware! Once again I can get a decoder from CNET but it has the adware spyware problems.

For those who would understably feel that the disc with the DVD driive, would contain all the software that is required to play DVDs, I have to explain that no such disc of software was provided when I purchased my PC. The software was on the hard drive and lost when I had to reistall Windows.

Does anyone have any ideas please? Thanks.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Windows media player 10 plays dvd's just fine and it is a free download

5. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello bigc73542,

When I put a DVD into my PC and choose Windows media player 10, a message is shown which tells me that "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.". If you can play DVDs on your computer with Windows MP10, what decoder do you have that I do not? Is it freeware and free from adware and spyware.

Thanks for your reply bigc73542. Can anyone think of a solution to this please?

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi :)
    As BigC States there is no need for any additional codac for the playing of DVDs"s in the windows media player. Unless you are trying to play a very rare type of dvd

Regards

7. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Nick,

This is interesting. When I check Windows MP10 options, I do not have the DVD tab that is shown in your reply. The tabs that read "Plugins, Privacy, Security, File Types, DVD and Network, the DVD tab is not shown. I have checked for updates and I have the most recent version. Strange, I think! I do not know how to post a picture of the option box in reply to yours. Therefore once again you have something on your computer that I do not have on mine. This may well explain why my Windows MP10 will not play my DVD. Do any of you know why?

Does anyone know of any other player that will play DVDs? Thanks again.

8. bigc73542

In WMP 10 just make sure the box is checked --see screen shot

Attached Files:

9. bigc73542

You do have a dvd rom installed on your computer?

10. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Bigc,

Firstly, I have played DVDs in the past before I reinstalled Windows and lost the DVD player that was on the hard drive when I purchased my PC. So I must have a DVD rom installed if it is required to play DVDs. One again, from my message above, I do not have the DVD player discs. They were not supplied when I purchased my PC. Everything was just on the hard drive. Secondly, like the DVD tab in options, I do not have the DVD option in file types. As far as my Windos MP10 is concerned, unlike yours, I do not have DVD. Is there a way to solve this, even though I have the most recent version of Windows MP10?

I repeat, in case others know of any other player. Are there any other players that play DVDs?

Thanks for your reply Bigc.

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Mmmmm!..I've got Media 10...DVD Player...File Type....and DVD options and the ability to set the Defaults to English UK, but the Apply button stays greyed out, and when I attempt to play a DVD I get the Message...'Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close'??...Bummer.. :D

Cochise, :cool:

12. XXX

XXX Guest

Hello Cochise,

Do you playe DVDs on your PC? Others can use Windows MP10. At least us two can not. If you do play DVDs on your PC, which player or DVD decoder do you use? Is your decoder freeware and adware/spyware free?

Thanks for your reply.

13. divedog

divedog Registered Member

14. NICK ADSL UK

Well i am unsure of why the windows media player wont play your DVDs. However jet Audio 6 Basic which is freeware plays DVDs very well indeed. It is a largish download but well worth you giving it a try
    http://www.jetaudio.com/download/

Regards

15. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Drivedog,

Realplayer gives similar reply as WMP10 regarding DVD decoder software. Winamp is not one of the players which is shown by Windows as an option when I load a DVD into my PC. When I run Winamp it will not allow me the option of playing my DVD.

Thus, I am now looking for DVD software, be it a decoder the only thing I can find on CNET has the spyware/adware warnings. I would have downloaded them by know and tried them but, I do not want spyware or adware on my computer. Therefore, what DVD freeware which is spyware/adware free is available. Is DVD software, decoders or otherwise all commercial packages? When I reinstalled Windows did I not only lose my DVD player, but did I also lose my DVD software? As a DVD player is DVD software, what other - if any - software is there?

Thank for your help. Who out there knows the answer?

16. bigc73542

You might go to the computer manafactures home page and download the latest DVD rom drivers for you system. That might be your problem if they didn't reload when you reinstalled windows. expecially since WMP and realplayer both give the same error message.

bigc

17. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Nick and Bigc,

Thanks for your replies. I have downloaded and run Jetaudio. It gives the same decoder problem. Thus, as per Bigc, I am now looking for DVD drivers. My DVD drive is a LG make. I will probably have to take the side of my PC to get a model number. I have had a look at the LG DVD web page but have not found any drivers. Still looking.

18. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

19. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Bigc & Crazym,

Firstly to Bigc, I have checked my DVD drive and I have the most recent driver version. This does not come as a suprise to me. My PC does not have any trouble reading my drive - the hardware -, it has trouble with the DVD disc - the software -. I can open the disc and look at the folders and files. If I did not have the correct disc driver, the computer would not be able to operate the hardware drive. What I can not do is run the files. That is, play the software. For this, as Crazym correctly states, I need a DVD decoder as well as a DVD player. I now have many DVD players, but no decoder!

Secondly to Crazym, when I tried to use Windows MP10 it gave me the decoder error and directed me to its web page which you have shown in your reply. That is how this all started. All the decoders on that web page are commercial packages. I looked on CNET and found freeware, but they all have adware and spyware. However, thanks for replying. It is better than being ignored.

So, where does this leave us. Or should I say leave me? Sadly, right back at the begining. Does anyone out there, know of a DVD decoder which is freeware and does not have adware and spyware, or are all DVD decoders commercial packages? This leads me to suspect just how many of you are using DVD players which have decoders with adware and/or spyware. For the rest of you that do not have a decoder with adware or spyware, I bet you paid for it. Who out there can prove me wrong? Thanks.

20. NICK ADSL UK

Sorry for this confusion. Now lets start again windows does not come with a decoder to play DVDs"s that is correct. But jet Audio 6 Basic does so does real player. Also this free DVDs player with codac cliprex from Holland. I would have a look at there website to see if this meets your requirement's. Meanwhile a member here may have this software and be able to give a better insight into it"s capabilities. If this should fail to work then i would suspect you have something else going on within your system. Like you have used up the region zone more then 5 times which is all you are allowed to do. If this was the case then your DVD drive would never play anything?
    http://www.cliprex.com/

Regards

21. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

If it were me i would suggest to download the free trial of windvd and try to see if that plays the DVDs fine (then you will know if that is a software problem or a hardware problem)

here is the url to the download
    http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVD_Profile.jsp

But i have to say windvd is by far and away the best out there. Powerdvd is good to but i get much better noticable sound and visual quality with windvd that what i do with powerDVD (but it might just be my setup though)

But its worth considering getting IMO.

Hope this is some help

22. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi xxx,
    Like I said in #11....I can't play DVDs either....I just get the error message as stated....

That 'Intervideo' doodad wants money.....I think xxx is looking (Like me) for a Freebie without any baggage.... :D

23. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Nick & Anthony,

Firstly to Nick, The region on my DVD drive have never been changed, let alone more than five times. Thus, that can be ruled out. The Cliprex player/s can be found on CNET and carry adware/spyware. These are some of the players/decoders I said I found on CNET.

Secondly to Anthony, I do not have a hardware drive problem. I can open files from a DVD in my DVD drive and look at them. IE view DVD photos. What I can not do is play a DVD film with any of the now many DVD player I have, because I do not have a DVD decoder.

Crazym is right when he says you need a decoder as well as a player. That is why the many players I now have are all saying, in there own way 'get a decoder and we will play your DVD'. They - the DVD players - don't mind if it has adware or spyware on it. I do. I need a decoder. If I did not, Crazym and all my DVD players would be wrong and they are not. I suspect the 'price' of a 'free' decoder is adware/spyware. If you don't want adware/spyware you have got to pay for the decoder. Unless of course, anyone out there know different. If so, prove me wrong.

24. NICK ADSL UK

25. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

After looking at all the Options it appears there are no Freebies, only Trials and Commercial....right?...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.