DVD decoder

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by carry, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carry

carry Registered Member

I don't know if it is the right place to talk about.

Is there someone using win xp and having need to use a dvd decoder with media player, because there isn't installed in my O/S.Do I have to purchase one or something free could be downloaded ?Thanks for advices-
    Carry.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i just use media player classic to play DVDs. no 3rd party decoder needed.

3. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

4. carry

carry Registered Member

Thank you Cerxes ,I will try this !:)
    Regards ,Carry-

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

There is a rool regarding codec packs. Only install the codec you need. Those codec packs mostly mix up the systems. Apart of that i agree with WFSuser to use MPC.

6. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I agree with you Tommy that some codec packages could f**k up your system, but when it comes to K-Lite it´s been very well tested, so that the package doesn't contain any conflicting codecs and the installation is fully customizable so you can install only those codecs you really want to have. Besides, it contains MPC... ;)

Regards, C.

7. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I just had a look at the codecs of K-Lite codec Standard and i agree with you. If you install them all there only could be some issues between the source filters, but it's a matter of later fine tuning - if you know how to :)

I personal use MPC plus XviD codec which plays all of the common videos without any problem. If i am getting to rar video formats i use Gspot to detect the needed codec an that one will be installed.

Bt the way: Features of K-Lite Codec Pack 2.78 FULL -> that's a katastrophy.

8. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I agree with Tommy about not using codec packs due to conflicts that they can cause.

For DVD playback you could use DScaler 0.0.8 decoder (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7420) which is one of the fastest/efficient (read lower CPU usage) DVD decoders around. It includes decoders for both the audio and video. The only possible problem is that while it's supposed to support decoding of CSS encrypted DVD's, it apparently does not although I haven't been able to verify this yet.

A good DirectShow filter (not codec) pack is CoRoNe's DSFP (http://www.degeelebosch.nl/corone/). It does not use an installer, instead unpacking all the files to a folder of your choice. You can then either install all filters in one go by using a supplied .bat file, or you can install only the filters you require (again using supplied .bat files). Read the web page for more info on why this filter pack is OK, but most codec packs are not.

This combined with ffdshow (http://www.codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm) should provide you with support for most file formats. FYI, I use the clsid version of ffdshow.

HTH

9. carry

carry Registered Member

Ok I have the "windows Media" on my pc but it reads only CD audio, so all you show here are they compatible with this soft?
    Thanks ,Carry-:) (don't want to crash my pc again..)

10. Mem

Mem Registered Member

11. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Yes regarding windows codecs.

As for VLC from Videolan, no. It has no setup which wrights into the registry or windows system folders. It just installs everything in one folder and brings his own codecs with (same folder).

Both are good. I prefer MPC as for the single file and some features VLC doesn't has.

12. Defenestration

as of version 0.0.6 it does support CSS decryption :)

13. carry

carry Registered Member

Thank you for all your advices for decoder in this forum.

So I followed one of them here .Download divX decoder and next installed media player classic. Seemed to work.But when trying to play DVD there was no sounds and even when hearing CDmusic no sounds at all.. Also I desinstalled the both and had to work deeply to recover cd sound.(with the window media).
    Now is it secure to download from internet such software?
    Carry.:)

14. Defenestration

It sounds like (no pun intended) you haven't installed the correct audio decoder.

BTW, when you say "DVD" do you mean a proper commercial DVD-Video, or a DVD that you have copied DivX movie files to ?

I know what I said in my original post sounds complicated, but it is quite easy to setup and will cover just about every format you will ever find.

After installing DSFP completely, uninstall MPV by clicking on the relevant uninstall.bat file, and install DScaler instead (both handle DVD playback and you won't/don't want both, but I've DScaler to be better)

The original link I posted got mis-formatted so below is the correct one:

http://www.degeelebosch.nl/corone/

Let me know if you decide to take this route and I'll help out all I can.

Which software are you thinking about downloading that you think might be unsafe ?

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Tommy, you're right about codecs, but ... K-Lite 2.78 is a beta.
    And I'm using 2.50 full, no problemos whatsoever.
    Mrk

16. carry

carry Registered Member

Thanks @ Defenestration for eventual help,but I first have to read some literatur about the subject.Sounds like very complicate for my little brain..(!)
    :) Carry-

17. Defenestration

It really isn't complicated. I will put together some step-by-step instructions for installing the filters I mentioned and post back here.

18. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Carry, it´s not so complicated. Do try K-Lite codec package, Basic or Standard, and your media compability problem is gone. I promise you, I´ve been using K-Lite Standard over a year now without any problem, and K-Lite Basic is even more "safer" (smaller codec package). But don´t download K-Lite Full, it´s for experts and could conflict. The latest official release is 2.77. Avoid 2.78, it´s a beta = could conflict.

Regards, C.

19. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

K-Lite Standard (2.54 & 2.72) here for about 3 years with never a problem and no file that couldn't be opened. MPC and GSpot, alone, were worth it although they are available separately.

20. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.