DVD Confusion

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Peter2150, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Have a question about DVD usage. Assuming the drive supports both, how do you decide if you want DVD +R or DVD -R? Likewise in the rewritables there is DVD +RW and DVD -RW. Again what are the decision factors.

Thanks, Pete

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

From my personal experience (I burn about 30 dvd's a week) I have better compatability with the most machines and dvd players with DVD+R and DVD+RW

bigc

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Thanks [​IMG]

6. Peter2150

That is a great link. I may call my computer company as the drive properties list it as a -R drive. Nero system analysis show it supports both -R/RW +R/RW and DL which is the Dual Layer. I didn't even think the drive supported that. Based on that I would guess I can use either, but -R/RW might be better.

Thanks for the responses.

Pete

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A friend of mine ( no names) has copied and burned 521 movies and all but 11 are DVD+R. The eleven that were burned on DVD-R won't play on half the players we have tried them in. According to the tech support at a sony and sanyo and panasonic they are moving away from support for DVD- disc's. We called to see if there might be a firmware update to be able to use the DVD- more often since we have several hundred blank DVD- disc's. But it looks as if we will be out of luck with those blanks. I have two new sanyo dvd players and they don't read DVD- very well. My sons sony and panasonic are about the same. At least the DVD- will record data pretty well so maybe we have a use for all of the blank DVD- disc's after all.
    bigc

8. Peter2150

Thanks BigC. That pretty well answers the question.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.