DVD BURNING WITH NERO

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Navalaircrewman, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Can any one please tell me exactly how to burn my Image on DVD using Nero? I'm about to lose my top with this. I have burned several discs with TI using my DVD burning only to turn around and give it to my son to use as a frizbie. So I know I will no longer try TI to burn. Nero or Roxio are my alternate method to burn DVD images of my hardrive. Problem is I don't know how with Nero since I have many options. I tried to make one with DVD UDF and no good there either.

Thank you

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Make the Image on your Hard Drive first. THEN burn with Nero - always the safest way.

3. navalaircrew

navalaircrew Guest

yes I kinda figured that. My question was how do I do that? Meaning what form do I use? Bootable DVD, DVD UDF, DVD DATA, and so on.

4. mareke

mareke Registered Member

UDF is your best choice (the second last choice in the drop down list in Nero). Make sure you choose a fixed size for your Acronis Image of no more than around 4GB so it can fit on a DVD. You are probably better off burning the image slowly to maximise the chances of an accurate burn.

5. PaulB2005

If you want to use UDF then follow marekes advise.

Otherwise burn as DVD Data.

6. I made a copy using DVD UDF. I seems to be on the disc now. however when i open the disc to explore it all i see is just one file. that is the same file that is part of the image. I clicked on it just out of curiousity and it said currupt. However the full burn cycle did finish. Is this same disc I burned supposed to be able to just be put into the drive and work as a fresh install? Did I do this right?
    thank you for your time

7. PaulB2005

You should have one file - the Image file.

You need to use it with either True Image running under Windows or the Rescue CD to restore an image.

If you use the Check Image option you can see if the image is ok.

Can you explain exactly what you did here? What said it was corrupt? Nero? True Image? Windows?

No. A DVD or CD with an Image will not be a bootable recovery CD. See above.

8. K I went into TI made a file and saved it to disk. Now there was a point when it asked me to go automatic or incremintal. I did not pick automatic and then i put 4476mb. from there i went through couple last menus and then saved it to my c drive. from there once finished i opened nero and clicked on DVD UDF. looked for the file which was split into two sperate file and saved into my c drive. I clicked on the first image icon and clicked burn. my speed was set to 8 by the way. after that took about have hour i think and it burned to dvd. after I was done i put it into my drive to see if it even would read. did nothing till I clicked on the drive and opened it. once it opened it showed me just the icon that you would see once you saved an image. I clicked on the image and then it would not open of course but said currupt.

Thank you for your help by the way.

Mario

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Mario,

Just so other users reading this thread are clear, there are two ways to record a TI image to DVD:

1. Direct burn to DVD, using third party UDF packet writing software such as Roxio DirectCD or Nero InCD, which must be running in the background during image creation. Use the packet writing software to preformat DVD+R (only possible with Roxio software), or DVD+/-RW. If the image requires more than 1 DVD, TI will prompt you to insert the subsequent (preformatted) disks.

As you are using Nero Burning ROM, hopefully you will have installed InCD as the UDF packet writing software. If your version of InCD isn't 4.3.11.1 or higher then I recommend that you download and install the latest version (<Nero Update-Package 3>). These later versions of InCD automatically disable Windows XP's own CD recording capability that often gets in the way of other CD/DVD burning software.

2. Two-step method, whereby the image is created to a hard drive and then recorded to DVD-R (not recommended by Acronis), DVD+R, or DVD+/-RW via normal CD/DVD burning software such as Nero Burning ROM. When creating the image to your HD, opt to split it manually at 4096MB file size if you intend to subsequently burn it as a DVD-ROM(UDF) compilation (this will ensure the image is compatible with FAT32 systems). If you wish to burn it as a DVD-ROM(ISO) compilation then create the image to the HD at 1490MB file size and burn up to a maximum of three .tib files per DVD. When burning either type of compilation I strongly recommend that you limit the burn speed to around 2 or 2.4, thereby greatly reducing the possibility of data corruption.

Whichever of the above methods you choose, always use TI's Check Image wizard to verify the image after burning. Partway through a restore (when all partitions on the destination drive have been deleted) is not the time to find out that the image is corrupt, believe you me!!

Also, if not already done, check out <Acronis Online FAQ #20> for Acronis's take on creating images to DVD.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mario,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

It seems that what you have done is burned one part of the image file to DVD and tried to explore it by clicking on it. This won't work because it is not possible to explore the image that is split over several CDs or DVDs. Once you have create the image file and got two .tib files (these are two parts of the image) you need to burn both of them. Since both of them are larger than the DVD capacity you will need to burn each file to separate DVD disk. You may choose that you wish to burn either UDF DVD or data file in Nero. After the burn process is complete you may verify the image using the "Check Image" tool. Please note that you need to insert the disk with the second part of the image first (in general, the latest part of the image).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Before I go on I need to describe what I've got system wise.

Dell Inspiron 8200
    100GB internal drive,80gb external, and 40gb external
    Hp DVD 630E writer external.
    512 mb memory
    1.3gb cpu

ALL DRIVERS ARE CURRENT ON EVERYTHING. both on hardware and with XP.

I've read and reread all I've been told to do and I am getting no where. I been able to burn atleast that I know ONE only ONE dvd. I've used all my +R DVD's and have made atleast 5 discs that are now flying around the back yard. Also did it with a couple -R DVD. I've tried buring direct and I've tried the save image to hardrive then to cd.
    Today once back from work I read the replies to my post. Great! Thanks for the help who seem to be more from those I suppose not working for this software. I made an Image spliting it just as instructed and saved 3 images total on my drive. I then went into Nero and clicked on DVD UDF. selected my first image named mybackup1.tib burned it and no problems. took the disc out and saved it to check later once all 3 discs are burned. Each file by the way is 4,194,304 kb. I selected my second Icon mybackup2.tib and began to copy it. during copying once done verification failed. I saved the log. I am now afraid to even ignore that worning and continue burning any more DVD's for my son to enjoy. This has truely been very complicated for me and time consuming. Should not be this way! I've never gone through so much trouble to get something to work like this on my computer.

12. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have used to boot CD to create an image directly on multiple CD-R's, then copied all the .tib files on the CD-R's to a hard disk, then burnt them to a single DVD-R as a data disc in Nero, and then successfully used the DVD-R to restore an image.

NOTE: The reason I did this was because I don't have a DVD-Burner on one of my machines, and didn't want to have to swap discs during the restoration. ;)

13. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Why not try a hard drive backup using just Nero?
    Nero Smartstart>Copy and Backup>Back up Hard Drive
    (you have to click on the little people so their glasses are on... it's Advanced Mode)

Click on the partition you want to back up.
    Choose the media you want to use (ie. DVD+R)
    That's it!
    I would shut down most running programs and make sure your screensaver and power modes are off as well.

14. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Mario,

Can you confirm that you set Nero to burn at approx 2 to 2.4 speed as I recommended above? If not then please do and try burning the compilation again.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.