DVD Burner Quality

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

A few days ago I installed a new Lite-on DVD Burner on one of my PC's.

The Lite-on DVD Burner seemed to be working properly when I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. However, I ran into an issue when I was trying to do an AV scan of a several year old Multimedia PCI Card's installation CD. The scan would slow to a crawl and then the AV scanner would lock up (stop responding). The Lite-on Burner would make an audible cycling noise when it got stuck.

I decided to do the same scan on a Windows XP PC which has an ASUS Burner. The AV scan bogged down on exactly the same file where the Lite-on AV scan locked up. However, after a few minutes the scan of that file completed and the AV scan eventually completed the CD scan without issue.

My conclusion is that there is probably a non visible imperfection on the CD being scanned and that the ASUS DVD Burner was better able to read the CD than the Lite-on Burner. It is easy for me to jump to a conclusion that the Lite-on Burner is defective, but I cannot say for sure.

Since I feel that the Lite-on Burner my be defective, I decided to go to an extreme and order a Plextor replacement.

Do you think that the Lite-on Burner is defective?

What has been your experiences with DVD Burners?

Thanks in Advance.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Did you try a different AV? I'd do that 1st before switching out hardware.

3. roady

roady Registered Member

Since a few years,Plextor rebrands Lite-On dvdburners,adds their own firmware,front bezel and then a heavier pricetag.......:D

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Not their own firmware, its just a tweaked at most standard Mediatek firmware.
    Mediatek chipsets are used on most (all ?) DVD burner manufacturers nowadays. I know Asus use(d) (not sure if they still do) rebranded LiteOn drives too.
    Mediatek chipsets are generally good. I chose a Sony DVD burner years ago, due to having an NEC chipset which was marginally better (a lot depended on specific media being read or written).
    DVD burner technology has be pretty stagnent for many years now as R&D efforts have focussed on Bluray burners.

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It could be the drive, but it could be dust on the lens, or disk quality. Not all blank disks are created equal.

And sadly, lens alignment, especially on budget drives, can be a problem too. For example, Drive A might be ever so slightly out of alignment to the right, but still within technical tolerances. When used to create (burn) a disk you are able to read the disk fine with Drive A. But when the disk is inserted into drive B, which is ever so slightly out of alignment to the left, but also still with tolerances, the sum of the misalignments creates an "out-of-tolerance" condition and the disk is unreadable on Drive B.

Spending more for a higher-end drive [hopefully] ensures very tight tolerances for the burns so reading in any drive is not a problem. This assumes the drive has not been subjected to drops, mishandling or other abuse. It does not take much to knock the lens out of alignment. And it assumes the lens is unobstructed by dust or other debris, and the blanks are absolutely clean, and good quality too. I learned long ago, especially as densities became much denser (more data capacity per disk) that cheap disks make "coasters".

Remember, case fans draw in air AND dust through EVERY crack and crevice. Not just air intake vents. These include the cracks around the drive tray doors.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AFAIK, even though internal electronics may be the same, the lens used as well as laser calibration, mechanical assembly parts, etc. may be different.

Asus uses LiteOn drives but AFAIK Asus drives are still made by Asus, though they are LiteOn designs/rebrands. A similar case would be with Plextor, perhaps.

It could be just a single batch or model that has the problem - you may have been unlucky.

7. Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky Security Expert

Hello,

Have you tried making a copy (either to a physical CD-R disc or an ISO file) of the driver CD and then scanning that?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

FYI
    Plextor licenced it's name to PLSD (Philips Lite-On Digital Systems, which utilises Philips IP and tech experience and Lite-On manufacturering). When I last checked a number of years ago Lite-on manufacturered all Asus optical drives.

9. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

Certain models like the Asus DRW-24F1ST are actually Samsung rebranded: http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-drw-24f1st-333098/

It feels like everyone's rebranding each other nowadays and quality control is not up to snuff as it used due to the dying technology.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

My Asus drive still has a Factory ID that points to an Asus factory, not LiteOn's (it's 100% LiteOn rebadge, though). So it's possible Asus may still be manufacturing the drives - they certainly have expertise to do so (via Pegatron).

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

try copying just the drivers (which honestly im really surprised you need them windows should install the drive without issues) to the hard drive in its own folder and then you can scan that folder. and go directly to device manager and install the driver manually.

but sometimes what happens when scanning a disc is the av is trying to extract files or folders and because a disc can not be written to to expand those i have seen some av's hang up on discs like that. what you could do is see if where it gets hung up what files the av is scanning at that time. this will tell you if its getting hung up there. and just by copying the files to your hdd you will not get infected unless you actually run or execute them so once they are on your hdd you can scan them and then delete them or whatever when you are done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.