Dungeon Siege - LOA - changing tmp file

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by johnclord, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnclord

johnclord Registered Member

Every time I start up Dungeon Siege - Legends of Aranna, it creates and runs a new, randomly named file in the current users Local Settings\Temp folder. The file always begins with "ins" followed by 1, 2, or 3 random numbers and letter mix, then ends with ".tmp". It is always launched by c:\program files\microsoft games\dungeon siege\dsloa.exe
    Process Guard says the company name (for the tmp file) is Smarte Solutions, Inc.

Is there any way to tell Process Guard to let dsloa.exe launch "ins*.tmp" so that I don't get a warning every time I start DSLOA which creates a new name ins*.tmp file every time? The ins*.tmp files are always gone after the game is exited.

I've just noticed that my hopefully checking the always permit box has created dozens of ins*.tmp entries in the Security tab for files that no longer exists, so I guess I'll start permitting it without checking that box and see what happens.

I still get tired of starting the game and going to get a snack while I (momentarily forgetting this issue while focusing on food) think it's loading (it takes a while) and then coming back to find it paused at the PG prompt instead of being finished loading.

To repeat the question: Is there any way to tell Process Guard to let dsloa.exe launch "ins*.tmp" so that I don't get a warning every time I start DSLOA which creates a new name ins*.tmp file every time?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

No there isn't - the problem is most likely the CD-check for the game so applying a no-CD patch from a site like GameCopyWorld may stop it (if so, I'd suggest complaining to the software publisher about their CD-check causing problems with security software). It would likely load faster too.

3. StriderSkorpion

StriderSkorpion Registered Member

Paranoid2000 is right. Although, it could just be the program decompressing and/or decrypting itself. If so, that was probably done to prevent people from cracking the software and pirating it (not that it works, though). A no-CD patch, as mentioned, will probably fix this from happening as the executable usually needs to be decrypted and decompressed for the crack to work (though there are some exceptions).

4. johnclord

johnclord Registered Member

Yes, it is something to do with the copy protection scheme. I used to run DS from the Alcohol 120% image file, (only because I got tired of changing CD's - I do own my own copy), but I haven't bothered trying that with DSLOA. No big deal really. It'd be less trouble to simply answer the PG prompt each time I start the game. I own my own copies of DS, DSLOA and DS2, so the copy protection really doesn't bother me.

It would just be nice if maybe PG could add a wildcard mask option (some users might still want to turn off such an option) in their next update that would allow one to tell it to permit something like ins*.tmp - Or better still, if it might allow *.tmp to be executed ONLY if it was being initiated by DSLOA.exe.

5. StriderSkorpion

StriderSkorpion Registered Member

If wildcards are allowed, it should be an advanced option IMO. Mainly just because of the potential problems that could come about. It should work, though, assuming the file retains the same filesize and checksum/CRC/hash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.