Dumb - MBAM Saved the Day

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Oct 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I had sent my Sunday School teacher some information which included links to articles. A couple of days later I got an email from his wife (he uses her address) with a link. I made a dumb assumption that it was OK and a part of our communication about the subject.

Without thinking I clicked on the link. BAM, MBAM threw up a window saying that the site had been blocked. I looked carefully at the link, and it was obvious that it was not legit as it started with an IP number.:mad:

Later in the day I got another email from her saying that her email had been compromised and she had a virus, and do not click on the link. She had someone clean her computer, and it was OK. I sent her links for MBAM, SAS, and HitmanPro; all of which I had used to scan my system.

So I did not think I would be so dumb and have warned others about clicking on email links unless they are very sure of the source and the safety of the link.

Just want to say that maybe Norton IS would have caught it, but for sure MBAM did, and scans showed my system did not get infected.:oops: :oops:
    That is why I run MBAM real time in addition to my AV.

Jerry (DUMBO)

2. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

We all do silly things at times ;)

The MBAM IP protection is stronger IMO even than the file guard, but doesn't get the credit it deserves. OTOH there's every chance the link wouldn't have infected you provided software on the PC was up to date.

I'd recommend Sandboxie, as it'll remove the need to rely on whether or not the antivirus and anti-malware programs catch something. Just as with MBAM Pro, it's a lifetime license (and interestingly on special until the 20th).

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I have not used Sandboxie, and do not know how to use a sandbox. One of the AV suites I used had a sandbox, but it was cumbersome to use.
    Jerry

4. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Yes, the sandbox on Avast is quite cumbersome. Sandboxie is quite different.

Out of the box, it's simple to use with a shortcut that will let you browse in the sandbox. It's free to try for 30 days, after which it's more limited and has a nag screen.

Over time, one learns many news ways to configure things more safely. Very liberating, being able to install and test new programs in a sandbox, then wiping them afterwards.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

MBAM rocks and not just its stopping power but cleaning ablity's are Amazing.It is highly recommended and used by many pc repair shops in my area.

6. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I'd say it's the first step in malware removal for most repair shops :)

7. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I've used it many times to clean malware from various pcs. Did the job in all those cases. Hitman Pro had nothing to do afterwards :D

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

If only customers knew they could have run a free od scan and what they paid out.:argh:How much is it.:'(

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

JerryM dumb will be if you dont run mbam pro;)
    your bacon was safe

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have a friend whose computer was infected with a rogue. At time he was using Norton, and kept it up to date. Norton never found it so was ineffective in that instance.The rogue would not let him download applications so I put MBAM on a CD, put it on his computer and a Quick Scan found the rogue and removed it.

I have used MBAM from the time it came out, and everything I have seen or read convinces me that I am not going to be without it running real time.

I think I will look at Sandboxie. Yes the Avast sandbox was very cumbersome and I stopped using it. I think that I used Kaspersky and its sandbox. I never really saw the advantage, and when I removed Kaspersky I could not get rid of the Sandbox folder. I finally did, but do not remember how.

Best,
    Jerry

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There are occasions an uninfected site gets blocked just because the IP is on a range they block. I've seen reports of this happening, but not sure how they get round this. Is it possible to whitelist the good site in these instances?

12. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

There's no option within the program itself. It's never been a major issue for me, but you can temporarily disable it if a particular site is affected, and can send a false positive report somewhere or other. They have talked about adding more options for the IP blocker, but I haven't noticed any changes since it was first implemented.

I do recommend disabling notifications if one uses bittorrent though.

13. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

MBAM's IP protection is really good but does FP's sometime (as many does). The only inconvenience is that it doesn't ask you whether to block or allow (good for common people). because ignore option won't let you in that FP site until you clear browser cache.

14. zakazak

zakazak Registered Member

yep, that is the only issue I have with mbam pro :/

15. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

MBAM rocks :thumb:

16. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Agreed my friend ;) Always good to have your security setup save your bacon, then its doing job :D

17. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

It may be useful to know that you can (at least in Firefox) do a 'forced refresh' of a page using CTRL F5, i.e. one that clears the cache for that URL.

Hope this saves some hassle.

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Wow... I didn't know that...:D It surely will save some of my time...:thumb: Thanks...:cool:

19. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. :) :thumb:

Cheers!
    Ziaul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.