DuckDuckGo’s Quest to Prove Online Privacy Is Possible

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Jun 19, 2021.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Gilad Edelman 06.16.2021

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

And to think only yesterday, or when it first came out, most users seen it as a laughingstock, some wannabe but never will be alternative search engine. Yet today it's plowing right on ahead. And with a following to boot.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I am among their followers and users!!

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I haven't read the article yet, but I've read that they will soon launch a desktop browser. I would rather see them merge with Vivaldi. Also, their search engine simply isn't good enough, that's why I'm still using Google.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I shall never part with Google as Search Engine. Although on the new computer with 10 21H1 BING is boss.

8.1's always will have Google Search.

6. johndoa

johndoa Registered Member

Online privacy is possible but no "easy button" can do that. DDG's marketing is nothing more than deceptive bs for non tech-savvy people.

7. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

8. johndoa

johndoa Registered Member

Brave is especially dangerous in the privacy business because their business model of crypto rewards is ideal for fingerprinting. The system where you allow acceptable ads makes you stand out of the crowd. They have rules on geographical locations and acceptable ads on your location. The advertiser can be any of tracking companies like Google. Matching the browser's fingerprint and geo conditioned ads is just one more profiling technique, very useful when you're "hiding" behind VIP or Tor.
    Even if you don't use its "awards" selling point, there is no way you can trust company enforcing "awards" component in your browser and "god knows filters" you have no control whatsoever.
    Brave browser is just a bad decision if you care about privacy.

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

BTW, I saw a company on Dragons Den (BBC) which is a competitor to Brave, it's called Gener8 and they have now even released a browser, but I didn't check it out. They claim to block third party tracking but you do get rewarded fo sharing your browsing data or something like that.

https://gener8ads.com/
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...r8-Web-browser-founder-wowed-Dragons-Den.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.