DuckDuckGo adds tracker blocking to help curb the wider surveillance web

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Jan 23, 2018.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

by Natasha Lomas (@riptari)

2. guest

guest Guest

DuckDuckGo's new browser extensions and applications launch
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/23/duckduckgos-new-browser-extensions-and-applications-launch/

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

And what is the verdict, has anyone checked it out?

4. david banner

david banner Registered Member

I have not checked it but i find duckduckgo annoying as it continually prompts to add duckduckgo to firefox or add something from duckduckgo

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have had it installed for a week. Works fine. No nagging for me since I already use DDG as my search engine (obviously :) )I notice that if I compare a site using Privacy Badger and this, Privacy Badger seems to block more trackers. Tested by having them side by side and then turn off PB. and you cant decide for your self if you want to allow a tracker or not like you can with Privacy Badger. But I guess it does its job.

6. JoWazzoo

JoWazzoo Registered Member

Glad to hear. I exclusively use DuckDuckGo (on my Win 7 box - no nagging for me) when using Firefox Quantum where I also use: Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, Policy Control and Privacy Settings. I see basically zero ads on FF and have zippo tracking.

I use StartPage on my Chromebook.

I also have been heavily using Cliqz which I am becoming more attached to. It has proprietary Search built-in which is ultra fast. (For it I added Ghostery - even though its engine is built in (supposedly) to Cliqz, Ghostery will block more things over and above Cliqz built-in. Here also I have virtually zero ads or tracking.

Net-Net I liked StartPage and DuckDuckGo about equally - but the edge now goes to DDG.

7. david banner

david banner Registered Member

I see DDG has in partnership with yandex. Does DDG get some payment for this. It seems to me there is nothing on the internet free of something or some ad. They also have a link for feedback which is usually a way to make the consumer an unpaid researcher. Not having a go at DDG it is a general comment

8. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

For those interested the founder and CEO of DuckDuckGo had a conversation over at Reddit a few days ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/7tnnv9/its_data_privacy_day_2018_im_the_founder_ceo_of/

When asked how he makes money, this was his reply.

"It’s a myth you need to track people in web search to make money. We primarily make money by serving ads just based on the keyword you type in, and not any personal information or search history, which we don’t have per our privacy policy.

For example, if you type in ‘car’ you will get a car ad. It’s that simple. For more details see our help page on the subject."

9. Rasheed187

I installed it on Vivaldi and it does seem to work just fine. I like the simple GUI and it didn't nag me or anything. I do wonder about the "Privacy Grade" option, does it constantly need to check some database for this? And I also see that whenever I startup Vivaldi it immediately connects to duckduckgo.com, I wonder what's up with that?

10. JoWazzoo

As I understand it, the Privacy Grade & associated database are done manually by reviewing privacy policies on a web site. Further, I don't think it is "constantly" checking but checking the DB when a page is loaded. I think that this DB is loaded at browser start-up and that the data is cached. I may be off base here as I have just started using it. :)

That connection at browser start-up is probably checking the DB.

I am not sure if that "feature" can be turned off. Don't think so at this time.

Like I said - I have just started "playing" with this.

Privacy practices come from here:

https://tosdr.org/

11. Rasheed187

OK so in theory it might actually be a bit bad for privacy, unless it's a local database.

12. JoWazzoo

AFAIK it is a local cached DB. So, yeah - I guess there are some privacy issues in DLing the DB from https://tosdr.org/.
    At some point though the Internet becomes useless if we don't make connections. :)

I will do some checking and see how/when the browser accesses tosdr.org.

13. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

If I change theme, and other settings, in Firefox, and save, settings don't 'stick' for next time using DDG. What am I doing wrong?

14. guest

guest Guest

Then some extension is perhaps deleting the cookie.
    But good to mention this, i was wondering why the theme was always changed, now i know why :D
    (i have "whitelisted" the cookie now in one of my extensions)

15. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thanks. I too have whitelisted DDG now in Firefox Cookie AutoDelete extension ... will see if that does the trick.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.