Dual monitors & TV via S video

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ThunderZ, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

OK Brain Trust. :D ;) A little change of pace for you graphics\video card Gurus. On the Wifes` tower, WinXP Pro w\ ATI Radeon 9250\ 256 MB on card. Currently running dual LCDs`. I want to add the TV connected by the S video jack so she can view DVDs on it in the comfort of our living room. So far my only attempt has ended in failure. :oops: It seems that the S video steals the signal from the digital out going to the secondary monitor so it no longer functions. The end result I am hoping for is to still have both monitors function as well as the TV. Is there a way to do this.....or do I need to add a second graphics card dedicated just for the TV. o_O :doubt:

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Can we assume you're trying to connect 3 devices simultaneously to your card?

3. ThunderZ

Correct. The primary LCD to the VGA out, the secondary to the DVI out, and the TV to the S-video.

4. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I believe this Radeon card's display controllers support only two simultaneous displays.
    A second PCI card (in add'n to your AGP card) may be an option, although it could be problematic.
    Different video drivers, different vendors, different hardware busses.
    A decent multi-monitor resource:
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp
    They also have a compatability database:
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/db.asp
    One simple fix would be a graphics card with >2 display capability.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  5. ThunderZ

Already am running dual LCD displays. The problem arises when I try for a third display, the TV via the S video jack. Will check out your links tonight when I get home. For now it seems the only solution is a second video card. I have read of success doing it this way if the cards are the same interface, PCI or AGP, and same chip set, ATI or Nvidia.

6. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I'd be surprised if 2 AGP cards is an option.
    There has been success with adding a PCI card to supplement existing AGP card.
    Per above link database, for example, one contributor reports success with:
    Card 1: AGP RADEON 9250, ATI Radeon 9250 chipset
    Card 2: PCI, Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 /Model 64 Pro chipset

PS:
    What was meant here was "more than 2" display capability, i.e.: 4 device supported cards.

Regards, good luck.

7. ThunderZ

This set up is on a Tyan server style mobo due to the AMD 940 Opteron the system was built around. AGP is not an option, no slot. Still have not looked into the links. Have been on overtime :p and do not think the words would sink in right now. :rolleyes: I do really appreciate your time and effort. Plan on wrapping this up one way or another by this weekend and ordering whatever card will do the trick. Again, many thanks. :thumb:

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Some cards' S-video outputs are really crap, so if you are going to get a PCI card let it be at least a GeForce4 MX series...

9. ThunderZ

Appreciate the advice but I am leaning towards an ATI based card. Her current card is an ATI Radeon 9250, 256 MB ram. Just trying to avoid any possible driver conflicts between the two.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

One contributor reports success w/ XP running 6 monitors via 3 PCI cards!
    (Don't know if I'd be brave enough to attempt that.)
    (2) x PCI, ATI 9250 chipset, plus a PCIe ATI x1300, RADEON 32 chipset.

Success also with PCIe RADEON radeon x300 series, and the ATI 9250.

One caveat, however: IF it doesn't work, vendors are pretty reluctant to offer refunds on opened graphics cards.

11. ThunderZ

Will keep you posted on how all this turns out. One advantage, this will be used for the TV only. I am looking at cards under the $100 USD range. Not a real expensive experiment if it does`t work.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

You would probably be best to get a PCI "Mpeg decoder card" (less chance of conflicts with already installed graphics card, and normally much cheaper than a full graphics card)

13. ThunderZ

Thanks Stem. Just did a search for you suggestion. Unless I misunderstand what I am reading, it is not quit what I want. I am trying to view DVDs played on the Wifes PC on our large screen TV while still having full use of both of her monitors. What I am seeing with the hardware you suggest is viewing TV on her PC monitor(s).

14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

An example of a Mpeg decoder card
    These card will port to PC and TV (TV via s-video and/or composite connections). DVD`s are played on the PC, but the player can be minimised.

15. ThunderZ

Got it now. :thumb: Should do the trick and eliminate the potential for conflicts with the video card. Seems to be just what I am looking for. never knew they existed. :oops:

16. ThunderZ

For those interested. I wound up going with this video card. No additional drivers or software required. The video capture was just more then needed. It works fine. The only tricky part is operating "blind" :cool: . Since the big screen is in the other room. Sort of strange sliding the cursor off the second monitor and it keeps going. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.