Dual Harddrive Boot. XP/98 or ME.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ftaf, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ftaf

ftaf Registered Member

Hi, I have Xp running on my main IDE 1 primaray and I have installed 98 currently on another harddrive IDE 1 slave. I want to upgrade to 98SE or ME. I don't have the disks now. Anyway, is there not a button to hold while booting so that I can bypass the first boot phase (my harddrive running XP)and jump to the second boot phase where the 98 harddrive would boot? I don't care about integration between the two hard drives really. I haven't got to that yet. I just need it so that I can run Pro Tools Free because it doesn't work/load on XP or 2000, only ME, 98, and 98se. I currently am going into the Bios and telling it which harddrive to boot from and its just annoying.

If there isn't an easy button to hold then is there another short cut I could do thanks...

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Unplug the hdds and plug the hdd you want to install on as master, upgrade your os and then put the hdd's back like they were.

3. ftaf

ftaf Registered Member

I have both harddrives running. I have to hit delete then go into the bios to tell the bios which HDD to boot from. They boot fine. I was just wondering if there is an easier way to choose which harddrives I want my machine to boot from, instead of going into the bios everytime and changing it to boot from HDD-0 or HDD-1.

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Yes, there is an easier way. ;)

Google "windows boot loader", and you will get many options on how to make this happen. (using NTLDR, or third-party apps)

Good luck! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.