Dual boot: Windows 7 + Xubuntu 14.04

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

More goodness: Here's an extensive, step-by-step tutorial to installing and configuring Windows 7 and Xubuntu (14.04 Trusty Tahr) with Xfce desktop in a dual-boot, side-by-side configuration on a real, production machine - Lenovo T400 laptop with SSD, including preliminary reading and preparation steps, Windows 7 installation, Ubuntu installation, hardware setup, disk and partition layout change, GRUB2 bootloader setup, tests in both operating systems, other tips and tricks, and more. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual-boot-windows-7-xubuntu.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. guest

guest Guest

nice MrK,

note: i have a UEFI/GPT machine

i observed that my Win8.1.1 recovery feature (aka Reset/Refresh) is broken by the dual-boot (even if after i remove Linux and set the partitions sizes as before the dual-boot; i think it is because the UUID or path are changed by the addition of new partitions so the recovery features can't locate the new .wim location and can't factory restore. (in my case , 3 new linux partitions), i tried various fixes but none avails (i.e: reagentc -disable/enable, etc...)

from now, to reinstall Windows, i have to create a bootable Win8 USB, extract the real OEM license from the hardware (via some linux commands) and force it via some Windows command line after the re-installation.

to summarize the hidden recovery partitions of Win8 are still present but can't be used for a Refresh/Reset of Windows.

it may be a serious issue for less advanced users than us , if they want reinstall their Windows; because of some machine the Windows's license key is not given to the user.

can you reproduce it? and if you find a fix , tell me , it will be REALLY appreciated !

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Less advanced users won't be doing anything that.
    But I'll see what gives.
    Mrk

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I don't know for sure, but perhaps Nirsoft has a utility to recover the product key.

5. guest

guest Guest

yes they have , i have to use Linux because i wiped Windows

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.